ZX Spectrum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which console/PC have you owned

• Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

• Atari 2600

• PlayStation 2

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)

• Xbox 360

• Dreamcast

• Nintendo 64

• Nintendo Wii

• Xbox

• Playstation 3

• Nintendo GameCube

• Atari 7800

• SEGA Saturn

• NeoGeo

• SEGA Master System

• 3DO

• Atari 5200

• Playstation.

• mega drive

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to build my own Gaming PC's back in the day but the price of components (especially graphics cards) got out of hand so i reluctantly moved over to consoles, i still thing keyboard and mouse is the only way to play FPS's but i have got used to second best over time.
Never - keyboard & mouse vs keypad - no contest 😉

First computer for me, well the “+3” version with a disc drive. The joys of typing in BASIC programming from magazines, and typing the run command with anticipation.

Did connect up a tape player too, the annoyance of getting a game 95% loaded and seeing the “R Tape Loading Error, 0:1” message:laugh8:

I remember getting an old amiga when I was about 8 or 9. I have no idea where my parents got it from but we had a massive box of random floppy disks with no, or very little labeling. We'd just stick one in and hope for the best. A lot of the time we had no idea how to even play the games as we didn't know the controls.

I had forgotten all about typing games from magazines. Took ages only to find out they were rubbish. That was of course you hadn't made an entry error. I seem to remember one game perhaps called Battle on Hoth which was spectacularly awful

This was my first home gaming system -
grandstand.jpg

Black and white, a selection of Tennis, tennis single player, tennis against a wall, and some with barriers I think - all variations of black and white bouncing a group of pixels off a moving line.
Then the zx81 with a weird membrane keyboard.
Bought and upgraded a BBC B computer. Learned basic - which actually helped me later on.
Had a go of a school spectrum when they came out, but had to program it to sort out barcoded blocks and knock them into coloured bins as part of a CDT display to show off for open day. It actually worked!

Later I ended up programming the CNC mills and lathes while I was still an apprentice at an engineering plant, and at that time were still using punched paper tape to transfer programs. It was more reliable than magnetic media in that environment!

I never really took to playing games as an adult, but have had a go on the kids systems.

Upgraded from my ZX81 to a Spectrum when they came out. I don't recall a fancy on/off switch on the power pack like on the picture though. I had practically all the Ultimate Play The Game titles up to Sabre Wulf and would play that and Atic Atac with my friends. My mother found this little snippet a few months ago of a piece of paper that I had stuffed in with a cassette to note the counter number on my cassette deck for each games that we had taped from a friend. I seem to recall Rebelstar Raiders but don't particularly remember playing the others. I remember that my Dad ordered a Fuller keyboard for me for Christmas but unfortunately Fuller went bust but fortunately I did receive a keyboard a few months later so guess they must have honoured the orders they had, I loved that keyboard.

Attachments

• Image (43).jpg
    Image (43).jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 92
I seem to recall Rebelstar Raiders but don't particularly remember playing the others.
The others are the additional maps for Rebelstar Raiders. I actually loved Rebelstar, the follow up and me and my mate used to play it like a sport. It wasn't until years later we found out you can use the lightsabres on the airlocks and we'd always use the hefty mofo droids that only had about 4 shots each. Loved all the Julian Gollop stuff, and the of course he made X-Com.

I had a ZX spectrum, loved those rubber keys. I remember having a game called Horace goes skiing. Think a mega drive followed after that.

Latest posts

Back