Bloody Gelatine (Edite)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I was being smart at the weekend and I put a packet of Glycerin into 20L of TC to help it clear.
Just had a peek in the tub to see how its going and it looks like feckin orange walpaper paste.
It does however look like its a layer floating on the top of my TC.
Is this something the Glycerine does or is known to do.

Can I just confirm that you have put Gelatine into the TC and Not Glycerine??

Gelatine is a fining agent . . . glycerine . . . . . Is Not . . . its also known as glycerol

In foods and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectant, solvent and sweetener, and may help preserve foods. It is also used as filler in commercially prepared low-fat foods (e.g., cookies), and as a thickening agent in liqueurs. Glycerol also serves as a way, along with water, to preserve certain types of leaves. Glycerol is also used as a sugar substitute. In this regard, it has approximately 27 calories per teaspoon and is 60% as sweet as sucrose. Although it has about the same food energy as table sugar, it does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. As a food additive, glycerol is also known as E number E422.

It's important that the beverage has fermented out otherwise it can form that layer on top

Latest posts

Back