Cashless pub.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So we're talking about less than 1p in the pound, your insurance is cheaper (because you're not getting broken into), no G4S or sending someone with £10k in takings to the bank
Although being broken into is a thing, a bigger thing is the losses from min wage staff trousering some of the takings.

And it's not so much the bank charges, just all the hassle of handling cash - just counting it is a boring, time consuming task, but needs to be done by someone you can trust absolutely.
Of course, if you're running your business as a cash business, avoiding tax and VAT AND DUTY (let's not forget this is pubs and breweries we're talking about), that's prison time!
Pubs don't see duty, it's hidden in the cost of a cask. The brewery may fiddle duty, but not a pub.

I suspect a more common reason for pubs to like a bit of cash is not to fiddle the taxman, but to fiddle their tied brewery/pubco. They might pay £2/pint buying beer through their tie but £1/pint buying on the free market, so the stakes are much bigger than a mere 20% VAT.

I have watched it again and the customer actually says -
she can personally sue her for £9,000 for refusing to take legal tender
I guess she is going to be disappointed when she tries :D
(I have edited the OP)

The customer is free to sue - this is a civil action not criminal. Whether the case has merit and you can afford court & legal costs is another matter entirely. In this case the claim clearly has no merit and would be doomed to a very expensive failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Australia cash bags put into banks with tamper-proof seals are not counted by bank employees but by Wells Fargo services, I know this because a couple of times I had miscounted the amount and the bank rectified the deposit amount. I commented to a bank employee that I was impressed with their honesty. The employee replied there is no way the bank would trust employees with the counting that is why the counting is done by Wells Fargo!
When sales tax was 2% no one avoided the tax and even with a cash incentive it just wasn't worth it. As soon as it went up to 10% it was open to avoidance.
GST or VAT is a grossly unfair tax, it doesn't discriminate between the well-heeled or those on basic wage.
On line banking has netted millions of dollars to scammers, banks don't lose out they cover it with charges to the consumer. Before the advent of credit and debit cards how much money was lost? The other thing to think about is when the populace was paid in cash the banks had to compete with each other to entice that cash into their bank. There is simply no competition now between the banks.

I run a small business. Should a customer pay cash, I have to drive to my bank, now a 30 mile return drive, pay in, which costs me £0.95 plus a further £0.25%.
A transfer costs me nothing and is instant credit.
I no longer accept cash
Why not keep the cash and do a bank transfer from your account?

If the bank takes a % of every transaction then every time that money is used to buy and sell eventually,in theory the bank will take it all.
Apart from the fact money is not gold backed anymore. It is just what the government say it is & nothing more.

I always keep a bag of coins handy to pay for parking, far easier than faffing about on my phone with apps especially when there's no WiFi ( e.g on holiday in furthest depths of the west country ).
Also if you want to tip you can be sure the right person is getting it.

The customer is free to sue - this is a civil action not criminal.

Where did she pluck the £9000 from?

She was doing a classic Karen, the manager pointed out there were plenty of signs saying card only even on the menus she either didn't see them or decided to challenge them as she was embarrassed when the manager said she couldn't accept cash, why didn't she just pay with a card instead of making such a fuss.

I have watched it again and the customer actually says -
she can personally sue her for £9,000 for refusing to take legal tender
I guess she is going to be disappointed when she tries :D
(I have edited the OP)

Last edited:
I always tip the bar staff when we go out to watch the football and have a few drinks as we always stay in the same pub and the staff are great, how do you tip with a card?

I always tip the bar staff when we go out to watch the football and have a few drinks as we always stay in the same pub and the staff are great, how do you tip with a card?
All the American POS systems like Square are very geared to their tipping culture, so ask to add a tip by default, European systems handle it in different ways. But there's usually a tip jar on the bar to do cash....

All the American POS systems like Square are very geared to their tipping culture, so ask to add a tip by default, European systems handle it in different ways. But there's usually a tip jar on the bar to do cash....

I am not a fan i like to know the tip has gone to the staff and is not being kept by the owner.

Think the UK law has changed on tipping and now it all has to go to the employees. There's one company,not sure which,but quite a large food seller,doesn't allow tipping any more because of this. So we all know where most of that was going.

Think the UK law has changed on tipping and now it all has to go to the employees. There's one company,not sure which,but quite a large food seller,doesn't allow tipping any more because of this. So we all know where most of that was going.

I will never tip by card payment its way too easy for dodgy owners to rip off their employees.

I imagine i will be long gone by the time we go totally cashless so i will always keep a couple of notes in my *phone case for occasions like this.
*remember when we all used to have wallets.

Think the UK law has changed on tipping and now it all has to go to the employees.
The Employment (Allocation of Tips) Act comes into force on 1 July this year.
There's one company,not sure which,but quite a large food seller,doesn't allow tipping any more because of this. So we all know where most of that was going.
The Ping Pong dimsum chain was one.

OTOH, the minimum wage has increased dramatically in recent years, something like 60% above inflation compared to when it first came in, so at £11.44/hour it's not like we're in the US where they have a federal minimum wage of $2.13 for tipped employees (defined as getting >$30/month in tips), which is supposed to be made up to $7.25 with tips (although a lot of the west coast states have got rid of the distinction for tipped/untipped).

Back