Fan assisted beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does not take long to get down to 85c unless it's a hot day but I am going to use the MashBag fan system from now on athumb..

I did this last weekend, 100°C down to 45°C in a couple of hours for a kettle sour, then after leaving with lacto for a couple of days did a boil in the morning and from 100°C down to 20°C by 4pm for pitching.

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0
I did this last weekend, 100°C down to 45°C in a couple of hours for a kettle sour, then after leaving with lacto for a couple of days did a boil in the morning and from 100°C down to 20°C by 4pm for pitching.

Hmmm. That is interesting. I couldn't be bothered with taking the jacket off the BZ every time though, maybe it wouldn't make any difference though (as in it would still work). I could try it by boiling some water and cooling it with a fan.

I rigged up a wood fired HLT at the weekend 🤣

IMG_20240420_175404957.jpg

well, not really it was a hot tub heater, definitely not an old washing machine drum, copper coil and back boiler water pump. But it got me wondering it could certainly heat a HLT too

I do like fan assisted cooling. I put the beer in the fermenter last night and was too lazy to think about the temperature.

Metabolic heat was pushing it too warm this morning so a t-shirt over the top clipped in place to keep it taut, sprayed with water 3 times a day and a small fan pointing at it has done wonders.

I only need to do this for 2 days before the activity drops and it calms down of its own accord.

You can see the spots where the t-shirt dried out

1000013738.png

That's a swamp cooler, works well doesn't it,.

I have an idea to try this with microfibre clothes, dippef in a reservoir and an inkbird controller
Yeah. My t-shirt method takes a few minutes to set up and is a bit of a faff. I'm considering making a "blanket" (nice idea with microfiber - lots of surface area to evaporate) with velcro that can easily be attached. With a little tail dangling down to dip into a water reservoir

I already use the temperature sensor in the ispindel reporting to a homeassistant server to control a heat belt in winter. I can just reuse that with the fan control too cool it.

Quick note.

A have a pc box fan, today plugged into the inkbird, which appears to be thwarting a run away day 2 fermentation.

Just a "let's try this" and it only bleddy worked. Happy days.

Fridge pump chiller will be required fitted the next brew.

Back