Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen Greg Hughes mentioned a few times on here, checked out my brewing books and it turns out I have it :D. So I had a look through the recipes.

Has anyone tried the Cornish Tin Miner's Ale or the Spring Beer (as its getting Springish) ?

I've done a dozen or so and they're OK for generic recipes. Same problem as Wheeler, though, In that there's little or no reference made to the water. I haven't done Tin Miners, though. Must get round to trying it.

I have done plenty of but usually mess or pimp. Latest was Boddington mild with a few changes.
They are a good base for all older recipes

I am hoping to brew the Rosemary and Vanilla IPA but have a few issues with the recipe in the book, instead of clogging up this thread I have started a new thread here. If anyone is not aware there is also an old thread on this forum which lists various misprints/mistakes that are made in the book along with some corrected amounts suggested by members, I have linked it below as it might come in handy for anyone looking at making one of the affected recipes

Made the Tin miners yesterday but I’ve subbed the Bramling Cross for EKG rather than make a special order for it. I can never tell if my substitutes are a good idea but there aren’t a lot of flavour hops in the recipe.

I have done the spring beer twice as i really enjoyed it. The first batch was great, the second I was a bit less fussed. The Wai-Tai hops seemed expensive, maybe thats why the second batch werent as good... I was tight and used the rest of the pack 18 months later!

Ive always fancied a go at the tin miners, might put it on my list!

Back