Make mine a Mockeson

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Coming back from New York a couple of years ago and having had a couple of Left Hand Brewing Milk Stout's which I enjoyed as they were nitro pours from the bottle and delicious, I purchased some lactose to make a milk stout.
Present-day, Gordon Strong has a recipe that he bases on a Mackeson the ingredients are more modern, not what Mackeson used according to Barclay Perkins Let's Brew Wednesday.
Also came across this Aussie blog https://craftypint.com/news/1995/the-milkman-of-human-kindness.
So now determined to use that lactose I bought, heading into winter here. I have an Extra Stout bottled, and a Foreign Extra on the go at the moment, so why not add a milk stout (Invalid Stout) they are known as over here?
Looking forward to the challenge of using flaked oats in the grist and trying to retain a good head.
Anyone interested here is Gordon Strong's recipe, just remember clones are never going to be the same.
https://byo.com/recipe/gordon-strongs-sweet-stout/

Last edited:
Anyone interested here is Gordon Strong's recipe, just remember clones are never going to be the same.
Surely it should reflect the beer in some way? Is it a Mackeson's Clone? It's 4.8%, Mackeson's isn't, it's been c3% for 30+ years.

It's a good, cheap store cupboard beer to make beef and ale pies.

Blimey! I know a few ales dropped down to 2.8% for tax reasons (and may now creep back up for the same reasons) but that's a drop and a half.

Looks like the war started Makesons on a bit of a downward trajectory (figures from Ron's blog) followed by a bit of a rally :

1939 4.7
1940 4.63
1943 3.31
1945 3.39
1952 3.47
1954 3.59
1965 4
1973 3.84

I like Mackeson Stout and drink it quite often when I want a tasty low abv beer. It's 2.8 per cent abv. There is a Graham wheeler recipe in his European beers book at 3per cent, and one for a stronger export version. Happy to dig out the recipe if there is interest. I had the idea to to a kit beer version a few years ago but never got around to it.

I like Mackeson Stout and drink it quite often when I want a tasty low abv beer. It's 2.8 per cent abv. There is a Graham wheeler recipe in his European beers book at 3per cent, and one for a stronger export version. Happy to dig out the recipe if there is interest. I had the idea to to a kit beer version a few years ago but never got around to it.
Yep,think you're right on the abv.

Less is more!
Depends on what you are trying to make, I too prefer the American versions but not at the 6% ABV.
A stout without flaked adjuncts just wouldn't cut it as a stout for me, they need those flaked adjuncts for extra creaminess and mouth feel, and the crystal adds more sweetness without using invert or cane sugar.
I will be using Pale Ale malt as the base, SM.40 in place of carafa special 3 otherwise the recipe will be close to the one Strong put up for a milk stout.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/left-hand-milk-stout-clone/
Surely it should reflect the beer in some way? Is it a Mackeson's Clone? It's 4.8%, Mackeson's isn't, it's been c3% for 30+ years.

It's a good, cheap store cupboard beer to make beef and ale pies.
No not a Mackeson clone but as stated Mackeson export was close to 5% ABV Gordon Strong's recipe is closer to Left Hand Brewing Milk Stout as above.
Anyone wanting the 1952 version it is here.
https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/11/lets-brew-wednesday-1952-mackeson-stout.html

Last edited:
I think the name comes from when milk stout was prescribed as a recovery drink to build you back up.

Those were the days - stout as a recovery drink, coca cola with cocaine in it and morphine available over the counter at the chemists.ashock1

When I started giving blood, back in 1977, you could choose a can of Mackeson as your recovery drink afterwards.
Nowadays, you get lectures about alcohol.

Latest posts

Back