Old Boots pressure barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gyro

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone still using these? I'm returning to homebrewing after a long lay off, and wondering if my three Boots plastic pb's are likely to still be of use.

Would I have to replace the taps, or would just changing the washers suffice? If so, what washers/taps would be suitable?

Also they have the old sodastream C02 valves, would I need these to be replaced or are they still viable? I still have a couple of the old grey sodastream canisters but no idea whether anyone still refills them.

Apologies if this subject has been done to death, but having done a quick search, it seems that most of the related posts are around 10 years old.

Cheers for any advice 👍

These barrels are amazing. All mine are still good. Replace the washers and gaskets. I prefer this kind of tap to the old-style white ones that originally came with the barrel. As for gassing, you'll need to see what;s around.

1713093428853.png

I've got a couple date stamped 1992 which I was still using until I started kegging.
I think they must be better quality than the new ones as mine were in storage for around 25 years before I dusted them off when I started brewing again sometime after first lockdown and worked fine with no issues.
I replaced the original caps which just had a PRV with new ones with co2 adaptors and replaced seals, I like these square ones from Ballihoo.

https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/barrels-accessories/square-section-o-ring-seal-for-4-inch-barrel-caps

I've got a couple date stamped 1992 which I was still using until I started kegging.
I think they must be better quality than the new ones as mine were in storage for around 25 years before I dusted them off when I started brewing again sometime after first lockdown and worked fine with no issues.
I replaced the original caps which just had a PRV with new ones with co2 adaptors and replaced seals, I like these square ones from Ballihoo.

https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/barrels-accessories/square-section-o-ring-seal-for-4-inch-barrel-caps
Nice one 👍. Thanks for the link, I will treat my barrels to some of those in the very near future 🙂

Nice one 👍. Thanks for the link, I will treat my barrels to some of those in the very near future 🙂
Make sure the diameter is right. AND replacing the lids with lids of the right thread is a nightmare, as I recall. I've got at least 4, maybe even 6 lids of exactly the right size but different threads.

Make sure the diameter is right. AND replacing the lids with lids of the right thread is a nightmare, as I recall. I've got at least 4, maybe even 6 lids of exactly the right size but different threads.
Thanks. The link was for the square o rings which I will try. I'm not sure I need to worry about replacing the caps just yet, but will heed your advice if I need to do so in the future.

Well, I dusted off my old barrels, gave 'em a good wash with cleaner/sanitiser and they're looking pretty good.

I noticed that one, dated 1994 had a bit of an air leak from the CO2 valve, however the 1996 stamped one was sound. I barrelled up my latest kit brew in the '94 barrel, but used the cap from the '96. The reason for this was the '94 had a nicer tap. I now have about a month's wait to see how my brew turned out 🙂

Back