Primitive Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
My neighbour is just throwing the apples falling from his trees on his compost heap :shock:

and so i've asked him to instead throw them into my garden so i can make cider.

I heard/read somewhere that apples contain a natural yeast under their skins, and as the amount of apples i'm going to get from his tree is in relatively small amounts, i'm going to try my hand at making a cider by just adding the apple peelings.

Am i right in thinking this was the method used back int olden days?

do you reckon this'll work?

hi, yes they used the natural yeast found on the skins and pips, i think most people now add a crushed campden tab to kill of the wild yeast and use a bought yeast, ideally you could do with a mixture of apples and no added sugar just whats in the apples :thumb:

Cool thanks for confirming ;)

i might give it a blast :D

it makes me wonder how on earth it didnt turn into vinegar, as obviously there was no boiling involved, and any bacteria still remained.

:whistle: get ready for a smelly brew :D if you dont have a press you can just chop the apples roughly put in the brewing bin and leave to ferment stirring daily and after a week or so just squash them up and use what pulp or juice is left to ferment out :drink:

Back