Vegans

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am sure most of us will have seen the joke below and many similar -

Q: How do you know if someone is vegan?
A: Don’t worry, they’ll tell you within the first 2 minutes of meeting them.

If they dont want to eat meat fair enough why should that decision effect others who do like to eat it.

The letter caused quite a stir, with some people saying it was a "reasonable" request
How can it be a reasonable request its your garden they should shut the windows or better still go out for the night and stop moaning.

What would you have done if your neighbour posted this -

1715602106573.png
1715602119633.png

A vegan family were left so furious after their carnivore neighbours hosted a BBQ, that they felt the need to send another threatening note to them after an initial one was ignored.

The letter caused quite a stir, with some people saying it was a "reasonable" request, but others urged the family to host another BBQ in protest, as nobody can tell you what to do in your garden.

But the vegans were forced to send a "last warning" after their pleading letters had been ignored by the meat-eating family. In the first note, signed by 'Sarah, Wayne and kids', the group said: "Hello neighbour, could you please shut your side window when cooking please? My family are vegan (we eat only plant-based foods) and the smell of the meat you cook makes us feel sick and upset. We would appreciate your understanding." Unfortunately, the request was ignored.

Full article - https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1715544251

Like you, I'm certainly not anti-Vegan - live and let live (as an aside, have you noticed how many Anti-EV people are the same? They queue up to tell you why you shouldn't drive an EV rather than let people just get on with it)

I'm intrigued on what their "next steps" are though and who they are reporting to. I don't believe the council or police will constitute this as "Harrassment".

I'm intrigued on what their "next steps" are though and who they are reporting to. I don't believe the council or police will constitute this as "Harrassment".

Its not illegal to have a BBQ in your own garden so i haven't a clue who they think they are going to report them to -

No more BBQ's and please keep that window closed when cooking otherwise I'm going to report you and go to social media too."

This "going to social media" rubbish...ffs!

I assume the vegans got a few comments in support from other vegans so think they are in the right and the neighbours who like a BBQ should stop cooking in the garden.

It transpired, the family also saw that their letter had been shared online. "My friend Tina told me you took my letter to social media and it backfired on you which is 'just desserts'."

I know i have posted this before in the forum but i will repeat it, these entitled idiots drive me mad.

The clock below which is on top of a bank in town used to strike on the hour 24/7 until a family moved into the town centre and complained endlessly to the council about the noise they got their way in the end and the bells that have chimed since 1845 were silenced, if this was my neighbour i would have a BBQ as often as i could and would encourage the neighbour on the other side to do the same until they moved.

1715605086427.png

Last edited:
And for every one that puts forward a successful daft request there is an equally idiotic person in a position of authority who rubber stamps it! Unbelievable!

The way our legal system works in this country they could probably sue the council for lack of sleep so they had no choice (see abatement notice below)

I remember this on the news a while ago -

Local residents of a Devonshire village are in an uproar after the council had to spend £2,000 to silence church bells because of a single noise complaint.

For 150 years, the bells of St John the Baptist's Church in Witheridge have chimed every quarter-hour throughout the day and night.

Jacky Harvey, chairman of Witheridge Parish Council, said: 'We were served an abatement notice and there was no way we could appeal, so it was just a question of closing the clock down.

'It was announced in church and people were furious that the clock had to be stopped - it's like taking away an icon.

'We are using Parish Council money which we could use on other things which is a problem.

'It's rate-payers money and we're really very upset about it.'

Jan Spier, a 78-year-old retired resident, who has lived in the village for 20 years said the money was unnecessary.

'What concerns me is the Parish Council have paid £2,000, which has to come from somewhere,' she said.

'If they're using money to pay for the silencer, that's £2,000 less that will be spent on the village. It amazes me that it was allowed to happen.

'If you don't like the bells, buy yourself some earmuffs.

'I think the whole thing is absolutely pointless.

Full article - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-complaint-prompts-local-council-step-in.html

Last edited:
i'd possibly reply ' I have the same problem with the smell of vegan food making us feel sick. However I have learnt to read the weather forecast and when its a fine day and the wind is blowing from your garden to mine I go out incase I end up smelling of nut roast"

P.S. I was here before you in fact I am the first and only owner of my house and even when another of our previous next door neighbours used to slit the throats of live animals for a genuine halal barbeque I didn't complain even thought it did attract a lot of flies. - This would also explain why your lawn grows better than ours. Blood and bone meal goes wonders for grass apparently. Me I use a seaweed derivative. In comparison our Iranian neigbours on the opposite side of us have BBQ's more often than we do and TBH I prefer the smell of their BBQ to yours.

While the joke demonstrates some truth, the letter is a wind-up.
Working it out logically, why write? Why not go and knock on the door?
There is too much detail, 'my friend Tina' and the he name of each family member.
A barbecue smell carries I reckon I could tell what was on the barbecue from a hundred meters whether it be snags, chops steak or a joint.
Finally, that story has been doing the rounds for a couple of years sometimes with the same format and names and others with a different format.

I know i have posted this before in the forum but i will repeat it, these entitled idiots drive me mad.

The clock below which is on top of a bank in town used to strike on the hour 24/7 until a family moved into the town centre and complained endlessly to the council about the noise they got their way in the end and the bells that have chimed since 1845 were silenced, if this was my neighbour i would have a BBQ as often as i could and would encourage the neighbour on the other side to do the same until they moved.

View attachment 99368
Why does nobody complain about the other kind of worship places that have singing at all hours, would they be shut down. asking for For my mate Desmond

They are not telling them what they can and cannot eat, they are asking that they stop filling the air with a BBQ stink. I would be the same if I’d just stuck a load of washing out to dry.

Reported in the mirror. Probably written by someone in the mirrors offices to get the nimbys all riled up and sell papers

They are not telling them what they can and cannot eat, they are asking that they stop filling the air with a BBQ stink. I would be the same if I’d just stuck a load of washing out to dry.

Playing devils advocate -

I dont like the smell of dog **** should i grass my neighbour up for letting his dog have a dump in the yard at dinner time when he pops home to let it out, he cleans up with hose pipe and disinfectant after his evening meal but in summer it stinks.

If my other neighbour was a keen gardener and i didn't like the smell of flowers and grass cutting would it be fair of me to complain and make him dig the lawn and flower beds up?

Last edited:
Back