Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Brewing With Chocolate

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Sadfield

Liked 427 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
I made a very standard porter recently Maris Otter, medium crystal and 200g of chocolate malt. I tried the first runnings before any hops were added and was staggered at how much like hot chocolate it tasted.

The end result was a nice porter but didn't taste very chocolatey. I think we expect chocolate to be sweet, so I think the suggestion to use lactose or another way to sweeten makes sense.
Totally. Designing in some residual sweetness through mash temperature, dextrine malts, yeast selection or lactose would work. Or a combination of.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk