Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Festival old Suffolk strong Ale

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #31
Andysbrew

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

How does this brew taste? Looking at doing it for my Christmas Ale for me and my guests to enjoy, is it full bodied and full of flavour?

Cheers

Old 04-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #32
Joeyriles
Brew Baron

Liked 214 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's got a wallop, that's for sure. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a 'warming' ale like a lot of Christmas kits, though.

Still, a lovely beer and if you were feeling brave I'm sure you could add some spices to make it more festive. Mine came out at around 6.2% as I brewed short so it definitely feels full bodied.

Currently Conditioning:

Der Adler Teutonic Lager (in the keg)

Irish Londoner Stout Porter (Irish malt, English ale yeast from Ringwood Brewery.)

Currently Drinking: everything.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #33
Joeyriles
Brew Baron

Liked 214 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you considered the Brewferm Christmas? I've got this waiting and it sounds delicious. Not one for bulk, though.

Currently Conditioning:

Der Adler Teutonic Lager (in the keg)

Irish Londoner Stout Porter (Irish malt, English ale yeast from Ringwood Brewery.)

Currently Drinking: everything.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #34
Andysbrew

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Thanks Joey

Going to order a Brewferm Christmas and get it on asap for next Christmas as the long conditioning time, 18 months ish , sounds good to me if its full bodied and strong, that's how I like my ale.

Cheers

Old 30-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #35
Maffa

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bottled this yesterday, with 41 500ml bottles. OG 1052 FG 1008 so with conditioning should be bang on 6%. Spend 2 weeks in primary then 1 week in secondary.

This is my second batch of this in 5 months, love it!

Old 16-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #36
Beerlover

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Started this last Monday with a Sg of 1054 and by Friday it had slowed right down on the bubbling front and dropped to 1010 so I added the hops, it was still on 1010 today (3 days later) so I was going to transfer it to a PB but at the last minute decided to throw a few Citra hops in for the hell of it, will probably transfer it tomorrow, it seems to have dropped to be a lot quicker than the other festival kits I've done which have all been in the FV for 2 weeks.

Old 22-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #37
thehorse

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

What could affect the OG? Mine was 1040, much lower than the last two users, though it was difficult to get a proper reading in all that foam. It's now dropped to 1008 so everything seems okay, but surely everyone's OG should be roughly the same out of the sachets as no fermenting has taken place.

Old 26-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #38
markb11

Likes Given: 6

Just brewed this yesterday sg 1060. Cant wait

Old 22-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #39
ajt24

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ive not long bottled and kegged this one after it was primed i took out a sample bottle 19/6/16 and tried very heavy with a earthy bitter after taste (wife said no not at all and I wasnt keen) however I had 8 litres in my PB and took a sample 21/6/16 and how it tasted different it was mellower and the wife said she would have a pint of that, not as bitter at all. I know it was young when I sampled but out look is good. I would add the hops a few more days after it says as it took longer to ferment out and if you dont like it to bitter then dont add all the hops. I think this is like my mates mum only gets better with age
coopers euro
woodfords wherry
youngs lager
Batemans xxxb extract
Berire de grand all grain
English ale all grain

Old 26-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #40
RichK

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just two weeks from bottling & temptation has got the better of me. Brewed as per instructions. Result is full of flavour. OG 1050 to FG of 1010 suggests a lower abv than on the box. It certainly tastes strong enough for my liking. I will definitely be doing this one again.