Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Fermenting in a keg

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2017, 12:26 AM   #12
peebee
Out of Control

Liked 224 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've also been looking into fermenting in a corny keg. Creating a "Nanny State" clone (DIYDog). But I want to take a different approach, fermenting and serving out of the same keg. Can't abide the term "cold crash", but a "spunding valve"... got to have one of them!

My intention is to set the valve at 12-15PSI and charge the keg with the wort (OG 1.006-7ish - so there shouldn't be problems with loads of yeast) plus about 250g of dry hop pellets in two 300x70mm stainless steel mesh canisters, then allow to ferment for 5-6 days. Chill ("cold crash"? Blah!), vent the pressure, remove the lid to get the dry hops out, seal and pressure back up from a cylinder. And serve a few days later (no need to warm up, add priming sugar, and allow to condition - it should already be).

Currently I worry about removing the dry hops. Am I going to be creating loads of foam when I try to take off the lid?

My spunding valve uses a SMC AP100 02, a diaphragm type pressure release valve that was going cheap(ish) on EBay. I got the impression that the commonly used "poppet" PRVs open fairly reliably but are a bit dodgy about closing again, leading to erratic pressure control?