Advice on a faulty keg system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydonmp

Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice on a frustratingly faulty keg system

I’m using a standard 2.6 kg CO2 bottle with a new regulator (theorised the old one might be the problem) feeding into several hoses with gas disconnects. Without being connected to any kegs the system holds at 40 psi - left it for 48 hours and no drop in pressure. So, the tubing and connectors seem to be sound.

The issue is that the system has now totally lost all pressure and gas a few times now. here is a similar pattern. It’s all good holding at 8psi connected to three kegs for a week or so. Then it all goes flat literally overnight. Empty gas bottle and seemingly 3 flat kegs. this has happened with several different gas bottle so I think I can rule out gas bottles being the problem

The one constant is that this happens shortly after I start pouring full pint glasses rather than little tasters to test carbonation levels.

The whole system worked well worked well with 2 10 litre kegs. The only variable I introduced was a 20 litre keg. This keg seems to take pressure and dispense fine however, as I say, all was good before it was introduced into the chain.

I have thought of getting yet another CO2 bottle and testing one keg at a time until it’s empty until I find the culprit assuming the problem is one of the kegs.

Any suggestions on what may be going wrong or how to set up some sort of testing system that doesn’t involve wasting several bottles of CO2 would be appreciated.

I would suspect one of the kegs, have you tried a soapy water solution in a spray bottle round all the joints and keg lids, also make sure all the connectors are tight
Yes, I suspect the same and no, I haven't tried that.

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a go when I hook it all back up to the next CO2 bottle

This is why I never leave my gas on the system can be solid one day then leak the next( just moving kegs a little can dislodge a connection enough to leak) and low and behold a empty gas bottle.
It is a little of a pfaff to turn the gas on and off but nothing worse than no co2 plus the cost which is creeping up.
I also force carb my kegs instead of leaving the gas on for the same reason, just let out all the gas after force carbing and set the gas at serving pressure it will soon get equilibrium to serving pressure after a pint or two.
Ps I time my rolling(force carbing) depending on style which gets me very close to how much co2 volume is in the kegs not fully scientific but near enough

Yes - the turning the CO2 off until you're ready to serve makes a lot of sense. I tend (lack of kegs) to condition/store my beers in demijohns before kegging so force carbonation would make sense. Thanks to both of you for suggesting this - it never occurred to me

When kegging do you lubricate the seal and overpressurise the headspace to say 40psi when burping the keg?

I do this and you can physically see the lid push fully into place.

Soapy water or leak detection fluid around the lid and connection posts as suggested.

Personally I leave my Gas turned on all the time, if the system is tested and sound, why wouldn't you, unless you are serving infrequently?

Also I am surprised that a keg would go completely flat overnight, I have had cylinders go flat without me realizing and the pressure in the heads pace will still serve beer for days and the carbonation is still there and only reduces slowly over time, so again this points to a significant leak if the beer was fully carbonated, do you keep the kegs in a kegerator/fridge etc?

Unless the beer is at a low enough temperature the co2 won't fully go into suspension so that could be another factor?

Thanks for everybody's input. I finally figured out the issue. As well as my 3 metal kegs I was also pressurising a brew my son had made and put in a PET keg. Typical student choosing the cheapest alternatives. Long story short his PET keg developed a hairline fracture on the neck which I found after covering everything in soapy water from a spray.

When I think back to it I'm almost sure that I've done the initial carbonation for him on what I think are all of the occasions my system flatlined.

With that out of the chain all seems to be good so far.

Many people keep their CO2 cylinders on scales. That way they can spot a leak and fault find it. Not that expensive when you've lost a few cylinders of gas.

Most common area I have seen leaks is the JG connections. Gotta make sure these are properly tight with the quick disconnects. Also it helps to cut beer line cleanly with a pipe cutter or Stanley knife.
But yeah, agree leave the gas off.

Back