how many times

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
just wondering I know you can reuse the spent grain and reuse the yeast
can you reuse the hops its just I like to reuse where I can to cut down on cost

You can't really reuse spent grain for brewing... As for hops, you can reuse dry hops for bittering. To be honest though, I would just get some super-cheap high-alpha hops for bittering and forget about reusing.

Grain - There something called part gyle brewing where you use the grain a second time to make a smaller beer http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68729&highlight=parti+gyle

Hops - I wasnt aware you could use dry hops for bittering as hophead says

Yeast- You can potentially re-use yeast infinately. There are a number of breweries that have been using the same yeast for 100 years plus. On a HB level overbuilding a starter can get you at least 13 re-uses. Some people think infinately http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/

But I think the best way to save on grains and hops is to buy in bulk. You can get a 25kg sack of base malt for as little as £18 and you can buy hops in up to 1kg amounts on some sites

Grain - There something called part gyle brewing where you use the grain a second time to make a smaller beer http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68729&highlight=parti+gyle

Yeast- You can potentially re-use yeast infinately. There are a number of breweries that have been using the same yeast for 100 years plus. On a HB level overbuilding a starter can get you at least 13 re-uses. Some people think infinately http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/

But I think the best way to save on grains and hops is to buy in bulk. You can get a 25kg sack of base malt for as little as �£18 and you can buy hops in up to 1kg amounts on some sites
Did a partygyle a while back on a small brew,got an 8.40% stout and another weaker 3.5% from re mashing the grains:)

Did a partygyle a while back on a small brew,got an 8.40% stout and another weaker 3.5% from re mashing the grains:)

I know almost zero about it other than what I wrote in post 3 and that's it's a historical brewing technique. But I was aware of Slids' thread so thought the OP might find it of interest

If cost is so important I would carry on making beer as before but just not drink as much.
Re-using yeast is fine, but the best place for used hops and grain is in the compost heap :thumb:.

If cost is so important I would carry on making beer as before but just not drink as much.
Re-using yeast is fine, but the best place for used hops and grain is in the compost heap :thumb:.

cost is not that important it's just that I don't like to chuck thing away without finding out if I can reuse them
it's just the way I was raised up waste not want not

I know almost zero about it other than what I wrote in post 3 and that's it's a historical brewing technique. But I was aware of Slids' thread so thought the OP might find it of interest

The Parti-gyle technique is now about getting different strengths of beer from the same grain. There is precious little left in a grain after modern approaches have produced an ABV beer at ~ 5%. Having a chew on the grains, there is very little sweetness left.

cost is not that important it's just that I don't like to chuck thing away without finding out if I can reuse them
it's just they way I was raised up waste not want not
And that's one of my lifestyle objectives, waste not want not. I was also brought up to be thrifty.
However I don't let it get in the way of enjoying stuff, and 'making do' when renewal is a better option. So if it's spent and/or unusable it gets chucked, by recycling if possible.
It seems logical to me that re-using something like spent grain and hops from a brewing process will produce something that isn't really very nice to drink, which then defeats one of the other of my lifestyle objectives, which is to brew stuff that I enjoy drinking.
You may, however, be able to brew something that you are happy to drink using said spent grain and hops, if so, best of luck with it:thumb:

Did it as an experiment,both are carbing up. Will be interested to see what the weaker 3.50% brew tastes like:lol:, if it's rubbish,so be it. I re mashed the grains and then boiled for 40 minutes with a batch of fresh hops .
I know that 'cheapbrew' who comes on here from time to time has done it a few times and has had some decent beers!

"Shut up about Barclay Perkins" has historical information about recipes where the spent hops from previous brews were again used to bitter low ABV (table) beers.

But I think the best way to save on grains and hops is to buy in bulk. You can get a 25kg sack of base malt for as little as �£18 and you can buy hops in up to 1kg amounts on some sites
I've not seen it that cheap, was that recently?

Total rubbish...where did you hear that?

Bit rude there... With which part do you take issue? Spent grain in an efficient system will have very little left to it, and used whole cones for dry hopping have most of the alpha acid content remaining.

Bit ride there... With which part do you take issue? Spent grain in an efficient system will have very little left to it, and used whole cones for dry hopping have most of the alpha acid content remaining.

So you have dry hopped with a low AA aroma hop and then you want to re-use these hops as a bittering hop, with absolutly no idea of what AA are left.
If anyone can catergorically (sp) state, with references, that this is true, I will make a silly donation to the RNLI.

Back