Anyone repurposed an all in one kettle as a fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostShepherd

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has done this as I am tinkering with the idea with my Klarstein Maischfest 35ltr, it has gone kaput on the first brew with an unknown error code E5 so I am not hopeful.

I had thought to just reuse it as a stainless steel fermenter, interested to know if this is something that folk have done before, if its a good or bad idea.

I am getting a refund on the item so I'm not trading a kettle for a fermenter per say.

Thanks,
LS

Did you have any luck getting it working again @LostShepherd ?
I’ve not had a chance to try it yet tbh as I’ve not had enough time to brew enough to need it.

I did find that the spare kettle was great for sanitising all the bottle I just filled it with fluid and left them in there in batches.

One thing it has shown me is that it’s very handy having another kettle sized vessel around in general for your brews.

Once I get the hole in the lid widened I will give it a try and post back here how it went.

Dead easy to convert any ss vessel.
A 50 or 60w stick on silicone fuel tank heater (£5 on ebay) and an inkbird... Oh and perhaps some insulation too

Dead easy to convert any ss vessel.

Impressive claim like to see you convert this vessel.
8k3dxrkf2aw51.jpg

My only comment would be that most fermenters are designed with a focus on single-sheet construction with no crimps or welds, in order to limit the places bacteria or other nasties can hide, whereas boilers may be constructed from multiple sheets with welded or crimped seams. I don't know the specifics of your boiler but it may be worth considering - I agree with @RoomWithABrew :

But I'd convert it to make a 2 vessel system if repair efforts fail and use a bucket or conical as a fermenter.

Latest posts

Back