100L HERMS Design - Your comments please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok in an attempt to work out a shopping list i needed to work out how the thing will go together. So i drew this in AutoCAD:

100LBrewery-Model.jpg

Does anyone see any problems with this?

oooh just realised i had no way to control the flow, so i've added flow control taps, and removed the ATC 800 from the boiler and replaced with just a digital thermometer as there's no real need to control the temp on that vessel.

100LBrewery-ModelREVA.jpg

You don't appear to be recirculating. edit. Oh, I see it now.

The ATC800 only goes to 40C.

What about sparging?

Is this for your personal system or are you looking at doing this commercially?

/Phil.

Phil said:
The ATC800 only goes to 40C..

Ahh damn. didn't know that hehe. can you recommend another controller?

What about sparging?.

I was thinking of angling the entry at the top in such a way that is whirpools. is this ok?

Is this for your personal system or are you looking at doing this commercially?

personal, but if further down the line i get asked to do a firkin or so, then maybe ;)

will the chiller be removable

not in that design, no. but i'm still open to suggestion

FWIW i'm thinking of scrapping the fixed IC and goin plate chiller. easier to clean, less chance of bacteria and the green copper stuff.

Does anyone see a problem with ditching the seperate HERMS tank and putting the coil in the Liquor tank? it'll save a container and maybe a controller too

The beauty of having a seperate heat exchanger is that you can hold the HLT at any temperature you want rather than being tied to having it a few degrees hotter than you want the mash. Also it allows you to raise the mash temp quicker. This really pays off if you want to mash out at 75C to stop conversion.

I would think that more HERMS systems have the coil in the HLT than seperate but that would be mainly because they are gas fired. Gas firing a heat exchanger would be a pain in the ****.

Rather than using an ATC800 I'd suggest using a PID controller.

/Phil.

hmmm good point on the seperate heat exchanger ;) i'll stick to the plan then.

can you reccomend a PID?

small question about this PID:

do you litterally put the heater element positive line through the relay connections on this PID?

You supply the neutral to your element via splitting from the supply, but the live has to be switched using a SSR (Solid State Relay) also available from Auber.

Personally I'd go with the 40 amp rated SSR, but the 20 amp will do the job.

that's spot on mate! cheers :cool:

question. i want 2 3kw elements on my liquor tank under PID control. now because these will draw 26 amps, i'm thinking about having them powered by seperate plug sockets. will this affect the way i have to wire it to the PID?

question. i want 2 3kw elements on my liquor tank under PID control. now because these will draw 26 amps, i'm thinking about having them powered by seperate plug sockets. will this affect the way i have to wire it to the PID?
that's spot on mate! cheers :cool:

Yes and no. I basically used 2 of the above circuits in one control box, using a feed to each individual circuit from a seperate plug sockets/ring circuit.

I'm building a box of gubbins for my new brewery, and it will have two PIDSto control the HLT and boiler . . . If you are doing two elements from one PID then you need to use TWO SSRS each one going back to Terminals 9 and 10 on the PID and the Live(s) being fed from separate inlets and in fact I would drive the PID on its own supply as well (so that you can put the PID on a time controller if you want to later (As my HLT PID will be)

2 questions, looking at the design, should the water in side be at the top, I understood it's better in at the bottom and out at the top, or doesn't it matter?

Also when batch sparging using Hermes, what's the method? After the completion of the mash, I assume all of the heated sparge liquer goes into the mash tun at once and then recirdec. via the Hermes system. At what stage do you divert then to the fermenter? Are you looking for clarity of the wort and taking hydro. readings whilst the wort is circulating?

Sorry more than 2 questions.

j.b.

Latest posts

Back