Fermentation Temperature Control Woes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
I love how this hobby ranges from homemade kit costing not a lot to massively expensive stainless steel units.

My current goal is for temp control, I'd hoped to fit a fridge in our porch but I think it's just going to be too tight and get in the way. So I thought I'd save up and get 2 Brewjacket Immersion Pros, since they seem really sweet and super compact. Unfortunately I clicked on their community like and it's a bunch of complaints about how delivery times are several months with terrible communication. Seems they can't keep up with orders and may have had a supplier issue. Combined with the fact it can only be sanitised with iodophor (which we don't seem to get) or by being boiled for 15 mins in the wort (sounds messy / burny), it's starting to sound a bit less promising.

The other solution is go whole hog magpie and get an SS Brewtech fermentor with one of their heating/cooling systems with the submersible pump pumping hot or cold water through coils. The standard brew bucket and temp control is actually less than 2 Immersion pros, but thinking about it wouldn't be good for lagering except by using the brulosphy method.

So I'm now stuck and sad. :sulk:

Someone on here uses a brew bag with chilled bottles of water. Who is it again? I'm wondering how cold you can get things in that. I really wanna make some biere de garde, altbier and vienna lager.

Thanks, that's my rant over. :-)

Hi
I had the same issue. Went for the brewtech brewmaster with the internal coil. Got hold of a cheap maxicool chiller and a brew belt. I managed only a 1 deg temp fluctuation during the hot weather. Apart from the cost of the fv I spent £100 and it works great.

Hi
I had the same issue. Went for the brewtech brewmaster with the internal coil. Got hold of a cheap maxicool chiller and a brew belt. I managed only a 1 deg temp fluctuation during the hot weather. Apart from the cost of the fv I spent �£100 and it works great.

Thanks, take it that's the super shiny brewmaster chronical? Do you use all it's fancy features over the lower spec options?

What's a maxicool chiller? my google search returns everything from mattresses to cool bags to some kinda semi industrial server cooling cabinet.

Thanks

Yes I use all the features. The maxi cool 110 is the smallest of the range. Try eBay. The prices range from £40 to £250. It's just a matter of finding the right one. It has a water bath that is chilled and a pump that runs it around the coil. Also some gave a secondary system which is a coil in the water bath that you pass your beer through under pressure. I used mine last night and it dropped the temp from 15 deg to 5 deg. Great piece of kit.

Someone on here uses a brew bag with chilled bottles of water. Who is it again? I'm wondering how cold you can get things in that. I really wanna make some biere de garde, altbier and vienna lager.

It was @MyQul i am sure he will spot this and advise.

Thanks guys, my wife may have taken pity on me and helped me work out a space for a fridge. But if that doesn't work out I'll look into the shiny fermenters and chillers.

Chippy: Thanks, I actually randomly found his thread on the bag after posting here and he's given some info.

I had loads of thin copper piping (from a plumber pal)
Was thinking wrapping the piping around the SS brewbucket then insulate it...temp control would be a small pump, ice bucket and certulate the water like a wort chiller....
But never got round to it...bout the big and small ferm fridges instead.
Best thing I done is getting temp control sorted specially with the lagers.
Bri

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back