water meters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was thinking about this earlier, so, thought would ask about it, since we are all keen beer and wine brewers, we use a lot of water doing it, from brewing right upto cleaning/steralising/rinsing!

Here we are not on a water meter, but am curious if any of you guys are on a meter or not?, and if you are...does it work out expensice by being on one!!
Thanks guys
:thumb:

I'm on a meter, have been for years & pay less than my neighbours who are not on one. Haven't made a note of what i use but will next time i have a brew day. You pay for water by the cubic metre £2.36. A cubic metre is 1000 litres, so i can't see you using more than a couple of quid.

i would imagine we use a lot, 3 of us, washer on most days, dishwasher, showers, baths, watering the garden/washing the car, and then all the water that goes along with home brewing!!...don't know if i'd benefit with a meter??

I'm on rain water collection. And a septic tank for my waste water. So it's all completely free.

I've been ripped off for years...no meter here.
3 bedroom house and only two of us live in it. I'm quite eco friendly and keep meaning to get a meter to reduce my bills.
This might be the year, but we plan on moving soon so is it worth it :hmm:

I'm a bit annoyed by the fact that water companies aren't obliged to prove your use for a commodity, whereas gas and electricity are :evil:
Surely they're not trying to make you pay for a meter that thay would otherwise have to install.

It really pee's me off that they base the water usage of your house based on how many people could live there as opposed to how many people do. They don't even get that right as you could have bunk beds :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

yeah, to be honest, i think i#m not gonna bother with a meter, years ago, people moaned and fought against them, maybe they have forgotten that..sod it, will use as much a s i want now, especially in summer, go shopping and leave the sprinkler on!!!!, get my moneys worth i will!! :D :D

Interestingly i told Thames Water(when i lived in uk) that i didn't want them to supply me with water anymore-i was going to supply myself. They then told me the water rates were NOT for the water pumped in but the waste water they had to treat so my bill would stay the same. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thieving, robbing, cheating, lying, **** taking bunch of w*nkers :evil:

MEB said:
Interestingly i told Thames Water(when i lived in uk) that i didn't want them to supply me with water anymore-i was going to supply myself. They then told me the water rates were NOT for the water pumped in but the waste water they had to treat so my bill would stay the same. :shock: :shock: :shock:
That might be harder to do now as the bill (at least mine is) is split into supply and sewerage - I'm on a metered supply. Quite how they'd determine your waste though without a meter on the supply side is an possible problem.
Vossy1 said:
I've been ripped off for years...no meter here.
3 bedroom house and only two of us live in it. I'm quite eco friendly and keep meaning to get a meter to reduce my bills.
This might be the year, but we plan on moving soon so is it worth it
Since it costs you nothing to get one installed and you can revert to unmetered if you don't like it (within a year) then there's not much way you can lose out. The next person to move into your house will have to have metered though if you have a meter. They have no choice.

Thank god I'm not on a meter!! It took 14hrs to fill my pond with 20000ltr of water! I'm sure they kept looking for a leak when I was doing it! :rofl:
Anyways even if I do go to a meter I have ways of bypassing it!!!

My mate lived on a smallholding above Caernarfon . . The water came out of the stream running through the land attached to the property (Above the animal line) . . . they refused to pay the water rates . . . . "No its for Sewage and waste water" . . . "We have a septic Tank, that we pay to have emptied" . . . ."No it's for clearing away the rain that falls on the land . . . Pay UP!"

And Congratulations Steve . . . ;)

I didnt pay my water rates for over 3 years when i was renting a house a some years ago. The bill was addressed to 'The Occupier'. Legally, no-one has to pay a bill that is not addressed to them by name. A network controller knocked on my door one day & as im ex-waterboard i knew exactly what was going to happen. So i ignored him. No i didnt hide like a coward. The bugger turned off my stop tap in the footpath. So as soon as he drove off i went outside & turned it back on again. Only when a bill came in my name did i start to pay it, begrudgingly.

muddydisco said:
Thank god I'm not on a meter!! It took 14hrs to fill my pond with 20000ltr of water! I'm sure they kept looking for a leak when I was doing it! :rofl:
Anyways even if I do go to a meter I have ways of bypassing it!!!

Legally it is an offence to fill a pond or swimming pool from your own mains supply. I know this as i used to build water gardens for a living. If you phoned up the fire brigade they come round and fill it for you FOC. They fill it up in no time too. :thumb: Seems bloody stupid to me but when have governments ever had good ideas?

That's typical they'll come and throw water all over your garden for free but won't come and pump out a flooded cellar unless they get paid!!!! The whole goverment is a corrupt twisted bunch of W*****rs!

muddydisco said:
That's typical they'll come and throw water all over your garden for free but won't come and pump out a flooded cellar unless they get paid!!!! The whole goverment is a corrupt twisted bunch of W*****rs!

My thoughts exactly. It's one rule for them and completely different ones for the populace.

i'm with severn trent and my water for the year is £330!, if i had a meter put in, by choice..according to them, once its in..its in, at one point i was gonna have a great tank out on the garden with the pipes from the bath and sink running into it, that way the water is then used for the garden, along with the water from the drainpipes as well, but its not gonna benefit me in the end now, if they gave me a big reduction, then yes, thats a feasible idea, but as it stands they are like any other corporation, after your money.

Loved the pond at 14hrs filling!! Good on you lad!

Seems a lot of you aren't on meters yet, from what i gather from people who are, they are always 'weary' of using it, like pay as you goi guess!!

Latest posts

Back