Brew Monk Strike Water Amount

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
Been using the Brew monk for a few brews now but the mash seems very thick. A comment I posted here asked to check the dead space below the grain basket - I have measured that at 8 ltrs - which seems a lot.

So am I right in assuming that if the recipe calls for say 13 Ltrs of strike water I actually need to use 21 ltrs? - it would seem to make more sense and hopefully give a bit looser mash.

Anyone else use this bit of kit like this?

Thanks

Been using the Brew monk for a few brews now but the mash seems very thick. A comment I posted here asked to check the dead space below the grain basket - I have measured that at 8 ltrs - which seems a lot.

So am I right in assuming that if the recipe calls for say 13 Ltrs of strike water I actually need to use 21 ltrs? - it would seem to make more sense and hopefully give a bit looser mash.

Thanks
What size brewmonk?
Mine is the 30 litre version and it has 6.5 litre dead space

Thanks
The above answers are correct but the first thing you have to know is the volumes. Use a piece of dowel and make a notch every 2 litres of depth from 12 to 30 litres, if you swap out the handle for some 8mm all thread, that rests on the grain basket support ring. You can push the boundaries to 34 litres of strike water, grain weight dependent (full volume)
Recirculating vessels allow for a greater kilo/litre ratio, the thinner the mash, the better conversion efficiency, go to 3.5 to 5 litres/kilo ratio.
However, it is important to know your volumes throughout the brewing process, strike, pre and post-boil so best to make some measuring device like the dowel.

Latest posts

Back