Tap style

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum...or title, but here goes.
When I was last in England, I noticed quite a few of the pubs I visited had taps that the barman had to pump to get the beer out. ( not unlike a well head for water ) What is the purpose/ why do they have them??? I thought the CO2 is what pushed the beer out of the keg and carbonated it....Or have I missed something obvious???

:oops::oops::oops:

Called an Angram pump. No gas apart from that naturally occurring during fermentation. Low carbed English ales. Often referred to as 'real ale rather than 'craft'. I like both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all in the Wiki. Of particular importance is the 'sparkler' nozzle which enables the beer to have a creamy head without giving it the sharper taste associated with high carbonation.

Those are for bitters and ales, druid. They have a lower level of carbonation, and thus the barrel isn't as pressurised, so you need a handpump to get the beer out.

Only northerners use those nozzles foxbat mentions, we ignore them down south :)

Sounds quite the thing! I'm threatening to buy myself a drape jacket to go with my creepers....just coz it totally riles the misuse!

Regarding beer measuring,, Sadly, in Newcastle the head of the beer was included in the measure of the beer in a brim glass (Dean V S&N) So the 'sparkler' survived. However, in the North East it all used to be 1/2 pt metered fizzy keg beer anyway into un-stamped 1 pint glasses. Few beer engines, sparklers or any fookin flavour.

However, in Newcastle we also had a clothing dilema! Skirt lengths decrease as it gets colder, knickers an optional extra,,, Except Ponteland where it's s fur coat and nee knickers,,, Allegedly,,

Up here if I wear a kilt(AKA skirt,,,) and I don't have a choice,,,,

Latest posts

Back