Stout Oddity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I made 10L of oatmeal stout on Thursday and split it into two 5L plastic Jerry cans. Pitched 3grams each of my usual rehydrated Wilko Gervin Ale yeast.

Kind of started fermenting this morning and by late afternoon the ferment seems to be well underway. However one jerry can has a nice krausen on it and the other has nothing, nada, not even a little ring of bubbles around the surface like you get at the start of fermentation.

At first I was a bit concerned as since starting AG this is the first brew that hasn't had a krausen. But did some googling and it can be quite common to not have a krausen so this reassured me. Both seem to be have equal amounts of little bubble streaming up through the wort so everything seems to be going ok fermenting-wise

What I'm mystified about is why one jerry can has a krausen and the other doesn't. :wha: The only thing i can think of is that I tried to cool the wort in a 10L bucket but transferred to two 5L bucket as cooling in the 10L bucket wasn't working very well. However, befor i'd transfered to two 5L buckets a lot of the break material and any remaining sediment that hadn't been filtered out with my paint strainer had sunk to the bottom of the 10L bucket so when I eventually transferred to the two jerry cans one had a lot more sediment and break material in than the other. Wonder if this had something to do with it? :confused:

Back