First brew, first question :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpydev

Reaction score
Hi all - after banging on about it for years and being told "no", my good wife has bought me a homebrew starter kit for Christmas and let me open it early so I can get it ready for New Year :party:

I transferred from the fermentation bucket to the pressure barrel over the weekend and left it somewhere warm for a few days. Last night, after seeing on here that some people drink their hydrometer samples (I wasn't sure you could), I decided to have a sneaky try of the beer when I moved it somewhere cooler. Good news is, it tasted lovely already :drink:, which I confirmed with a second sneaky try, but it came out of the barrel like a flipping rocket. I don't intend to drink it properly for at least a couple of weeks, is this something that will "die down" after a while as the brew settles, or do I potentially need to need to let some of the pressure off, or will that ruin the brew? :confused:

As I can't cool the whole barrel (although it is in a relatively cool room), I have some bottles I intended to chill then transfer the beer to a few bottles at a time (via the barrel tap), but unless it comes out a bit more sedately I will probably put most of the beer up the wall :eek:

Hi Grumpydev and welcome.

Your beer coming out like a rocket is only good news. It means it's carbonating properly. At the moment it is under a huge amount of pressure due to the CO2 being produced by the secondary fermentation. When you actually come to serve it, you will need to loosen the cap to release some of that pressure. You will then need to re-pressurise with a blast of CO2, if not you will have about 5 days to finish it before it goes off (maybe doable over Christmas?)

As for bottling you will probably struggle to bottle a beer which is already conditioned (carbonated) unless you are going to drink them straight away. If you are really worried about drinking it cold move it (gently) outside for a few hours.

Thanks for the reply, I have the CO2 canisters but I thought they were for when I'd drunk a fair bit, never thought about letting the pressure off once the secondary fermentation is done - the instructions I have say to never do it do a full barrel, but I guess that's assuming you haven't let the pressure out beforehand.

As for bottling, it's not for long term storage, I just want to try some from the fridge, and take some to friend's houses so they can try it - it's not going to sit in them for any period of time :)

Latest posts

Back