Hose and gun recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mak

Regular.
Reaction score
I use the tap in the back garden for my brewing water - never had a problem, apart from the fittings and various guns I've had always end up leaking and I brew inside so this is a constant pita!

Can anyone recommend some that don't leak - and are preferably food grade?

Would be great to be able to control the flow going into my counter chiller as well, from inside the house rather than having to constantly walk around the house messing with the outside tap then back in the measure temp, repeat, repeat... anyone know of something that could be useful for that? (and of course doesn't leak!!):thumb:

Washing machine valve and hose, you get a fitting called a Y piece which screws onto a washing machine valve, you can then connect two hoses to this ie. one existing going to your washing machine or dishwasher the other you then use for a new hose for whatever, simply screw a new washing machine valve into it and that will give you a 1/2" bsp thread or 15mm copper pipe to work of to connect anything you want.

I'd be inclined to work of the 15mm copper pipe for further connections as it's a mechanical joint that is easily assembled and broken back down for ease of use. The washing machine hose can be coiled up and kept inside a cupboard or behind washing machine and left connected.

You could also double valve it with two WM valves which would give you a connection which is identical to an outside tap thread, this would give you quick disconnect options from the like of hozelock.

Thanks chewie, I should have mentioned that using connections in the kitchen isn't going to work for me. I just have the outside tap (on the back of the house) and my "brewroom" which is on the side. Hence me running garden hose around the back.

Thanks chewie, I should have mentioned that using connections in the kitchen isn't going to work for me. I just have the outside tap (on the back of the house) and my "brewroom" which is on the side. Hence me running garden hose around the back.

You could then maybe run some hep plastic pipe round the outside from the outside tap to the brew room now that frost risk has passed and rig up a temporary tap inside the brew room, a few pushfit plastic fittings and the whole lot would be easily dismantled again come late Autumn.

This sounds like a great idea, some quick disconnect fittings and I could remove the pipe after every brew! Have you anywhere you would recommend for getting the parts?

I read the title as horse and gun. I thought you wanted to be a cowboy!

Best place to source plumbing stuff is a proper plumbers suppliers, avoid the B+Q, screwfix type places as with them you get a sales assistant who won't know diddly, a proper supplier will have people who can answer any Q's and give you the right fitting for the right job.

Tell them that you want to run a temporary Hepworth pipe connecting to an outside tap which you want to be able to assemble and take down quickly and you want another outside tap on the other end, it's up to you if you want to fix the tap to the wall inside the brew room. Speedfit plastic pipe fittings can be easily pushed in and released back out again so best to go with them near hand the outside taps.

I have also been looking at having cold water flow control near my chiller.

I had one of these kicking about:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Line-W...hash=item3a8a178d15:m:mqylBPSGtQ6epLk4SUUOFDg

Gave it a quick try at mains pressure and no leaks. You can simply put it in line in the hose feed pipe. I would suggest using the fuel line type clips (they come in various sizes) rather than jubilee clips as the latter are rubbish at small diameters. a decent quality garden hose is also a bonus as they are thicker and clamp down better.

The taps come in various barb sizes.

Not tried it for real yet :smile:

Use Blue drinking water hose for water you will brew with its a penny or two more than garden hose but wont leach any unwanted chemicals.. ebay, caravan suppliers will sell it.. genuine hozelock and gardinia hose connectors should be leak and drip free and are afaik foodsafe with SS springs.

if a fitting drips a wrap or two of ptfe over the oring can be a quick fix a replacement oring should sort it out properly.

The blue cold water tubing can be buried directly in ground for a permanent install, the fittings are easy to use but you do need a reinforcing piece in the end of the tube so it doesnt collapse the tube when tightened.
Also there needs to be a non return valve between the domestic supply and garden hose tap, and it is common practice to install a stop tap too which can be turned off in winter.

Gave it a quick try at mains pressure and no leaks. You can simply put it in line in the hose feed pipe. I would suggest using the fuel line type clips (they come in various sizes) rather than jubilee clips as the latter are rubbish at small diameters. a decent quality garden hose is also a bonus as they are thicker and clamp down better.

The taps come in various barb sizes.

Not tried it for real yet :smile:

You given it a real test yet? I've ordered blue hose, so this is the only thing I need to add now!

You given it a real test yet? I've ordered blue hose, so this is the only thing I need to add now!

I'm afraid I didn't get to try the plastic tap as I went with a metal one I also had lying around.

It was similar to this. I had to add a bit of packing as the barbs were a bit small for the hose pipe. It worked fine and was really handy as the water flow needed adjusting for the counter flow chiller. In fact my new chiller was so efficient the valve was nearly closed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-LINE-F...307076?hash=item3d3b902384:g:vvwAAOxywh1TEKZp

Latest posts

Back