Cider oxidation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy90

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I haven't been on for quite a while so apologies for that.
Made my first batch of cider at home this year with my new press & pulper.
Now I'm not sure if it's the apples (harry masters junion) or the pulper putting too much air into the mix but I've never had a cider this colour before! !

20170903_190322.jpg

Cheers. I've always used a large scratter & press before at our local cider museum so haven't come across this colour. The pulp went brown quickly after it was mashed so I was thinking it was that process. This was the first time using a pulp master.

Cheers. I've always used a large scratter & press before at our local cider museum so haven't come across this colour. The pulp went brown quickly after it was mashed so I was thinking it was that process. This was the first time using a pulp master.

Ahh the Mill at Owermoigne! That's who I used last year. Hello from another Dorset forum member!

Don't think it's the scratter as such, more do do with varieties of apple. Some stay really bright others seem to think their natural colour is caramel.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Apple pulp oxidises readily, so it's best to add sulphite as soon as possible to prevent it from browning. Some deep red skinned apples have some red flesh beneath the skin.

Back