low cost living

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really boils my p++s that a section of our society are in full time employment yet rely on food banks to make ends meet and you can bet the people that set the "living wage' (minimum wage) has never had to live on it.

The dole wallahs on our street ought to take a look at that link. Living off McDonalds, pizzas, Mayfair King Size and horrible cheap lager, and getting a taxi for said items then bleating about being skint. I've got a reasonable income and the missus does her bit, but being every bit as mean as I am astute I make the pennies count and if I can do/make/repair anything myself, I will. The minimum wage ain't great but to be fair, many people on it aren't capable of better so have little choice. But if it did go up, folk just a little higher up the pay scale would want more too, otherwise there'd be resentment at getting the same as those at the bottom of the pile. Where would that end? Besides, don't these people get tax credits?

The dole wallahs on our street ought to take a look at that link. Living off McDonalds, pizzas, Mayfair King Size and horrible cheap lager, and getting a taxi for said items then bleating about being skint. I've got a reasonable income and the missus does her bit, but being every bit as mean as I am astute I make the pennies count and if I can do/make/repair anything myself, I will. The minimum wage ain't great but to be fair, many people on it aren't capable of better so have little choice. But if it did go up, folk just a little higher up the pay scale would want more too, otherwise there'd be resentment at getting the same as those at the bottom of the pile. Where would that end? Besides, don't these people get tax credits?

Where I work (public sector) there is a London Living Wage policy.
The problem with that is it causes friction where the cleaners are paid only slightly less than some of the office staff.
Mind you, it does not stop one or two of them stealing our lunch from the mess room fridge :-(

There is a problem with Government definitions of poverty, and a certain sense of entitlement among the lower paid or those totally dependent on benefits. The actual definition of poverty includes those who do not have a range of things that I would class as nice to have but not essential such as Sky TV (even a TV itself), a car, mobile phones etc.

There were days in the past just after I was married I lost my job and for the first Christmas I think we bought each other a book and no more. I tend to operate on the principle that If I can't afford it then I can't( not won't) buy it. Even now in retirement comparatively comfortable I still question the need to buy or replace anything.
the problem is the sense of entitlement that people have thinking their kids should have holidays, games they deserve a good Christmas etc and all at someone else's expense

I am not trying to suggest that life on the dole is easy but round where I live there are second and third generations of families that have never worked, manage fairly well and run cars TV etc.
A little restraint would probably be more the order of the day and would ease the resentment of a lot of people who themselves have struggled, gone without but still provided for their families.

It really boils my p++s that a section of our society are in full time employment yet rely on food banks to make ends meet and you can bet the people that set the "living wage' (minimum wage) has never had to live on it.

Its absolutely scandalous. They go into politics as a career and for power. They join any party they think they can succeed in not because of their beliefs. They are all enough to make me puke.

One thing i have done this year is to make an effort to grow some food. Normally i give up as the slugs eat it all but i have made some raised beds out of reclaimed wood and spread bark in the poly tunnel so fingers crossed. Instead of buying small packs of seeds its cheaper to buy bulk sprouting seeds. Pea shoots are a big thing now and they are easy to grow, so is rocket and land cress.

The minimum wage ain't great but to be fair, many people on it aren't capable of better so have little choice.

I do not think the current living wage is a living wage no matter how skilled or unskilled you are.

In my last job i was not on much more than the minimum wage and if i was still there i would probably now be on the "living wage" i had to commute by car as there was no way i could use public transport as i had to work odd hours, the travelling and expense of running a car (nothing flash) made a huge hole in my monthly income especially when the price of fuel went sky high so for me the living wage should be renamed the "only just making ends meet" wage as a lot of people on it are doing just that.

You been reading the Daily Mail again Gunge?

I do not think the current living wage is a living wage no matter how skilled or unskilled you are.

I fully concur with you, it's utterly scandalous and tbh I wouldn't get out of bed for it. It's barely more than dole money once all the essentials are paid. But what to do when everyone above that gets upset and demand accordingly more?

I fully concur with you, it's utterly scandalous and tbh I wouldn't get out of bed for it. It's barely more than dole money once all the essentials are paid. But what to do when everyone above that gets upset and demand accordingly more?

If i owned the company they would be told they earn above the living wage and the company cannot afford to pay them more as we have just been forced to increase the wages of the lowest paid in the company.

Everyone moans about their pay but how many actually approach the boss and moan about it?

If i owned the company they would be told they earn above the living wage and the company cannot afford to pay them more as we have just been forced to increase the wages of the lowest paid in the company.

Everyone moans about their pay but how many actually approach the boss and moan about it?

Sounds good, but you know it wouldn't work out. I know I wouldn't be happy getting paid hardly any more for my skilled, stressful job as inexperienced labourers off the street. I know how that sounds but there's no tactful way to put it.

MyQul - You've rumbled me, my real name is Paul Dacre!

Sounds good, but you know it wouldn't work out. I know I wouldn't be happy getting paid hardly any more for my skilled, stressful job as inexperienced labourers off the street. I know how that sounds but there's no tactful way to put it.

They would have two choices in my hypothetical company deal with it or **** off.

oops well look like I started something with this thread
good debate going on

No they wouldn't they would just sit in the brew room and moan like they do now in most companies.

The minimum wage has increased the pay of the low paid by a couple of pounds an hour (guestimate) are skilled workers up in arms well not where I was working or am now.

No they wouldn't they would just sit in the brew room and moan like they do now in most companies.

The minimum wage has increased the pay of the low paid by a couple of pounds an hour (guestimate) are skilled workers up in arms well not where I was working or am now.

That's cos the minimum wage is preposterously low. Then you've got clowns like Corbyn wantjng it to be at least 10 quid an hour. That sounds fine in itself but at our works that is within a few pence of skilled guys with years of experience. Is their wage going to go up to maintain the gap between them and folk who are basically there to fetch and carry? As for sitting in the canteen moaning, I've handed my notice in only to have the sweating boss approach me at the eleventh hour with an offer I couldn't refuse. It's down to the individual and the confidence they have in themself, I guess.

Last edited:
Obviously if the living wage suddenly jumped to £10 an hour it would cause a lot of problems for company owners but it will never happen it will continue to creep up by pence a year and the poor sods on it will continue to struggle.

Latest posts

Back