Young drivers face £3,000 cost for car insurance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Money saving expert have some good advice about this. Going through their help pages showed that fully comprehensive can be cheaper than 3rd party, adding named drivers etc helps.

There is also a guide on job descriptions. Using suggested different terms for the same job, saved another 18%.

I’m not sure how the computers used by these insurance companies calculate premiums but there are scenarios that affect the cost and that just don’t make sense (well, not to me anyway). For example, My wife is a named driver on the insurance for our second car, which used to sit on our drive all week, and when we called them to change the policy for her to use it to commute to work our premium went down £50pa!

Get a trade policy, stick all your vehicles on that and add your children, used to work out a lot cheaper, especially if there was a few of you.

And ask yourself why that is.
Insurance companies calculate risk, they are a business. They ask the data. Companies have shareholders to feed.

The problem with stats is they dont give us the risk by age or the numbers of drivers in each age group and where do you draw the line when you say young drivers?

I assume there are many more drivers on the road under 30 than over 60 so obviously the number of accidents in the lower age group is going to be more than in the older age group, the graph below shows the amount of accidents across all age groups is fairly even the over 75s probably drops so low as they tend to lose their licences for medical reasons or lose confidence and give up driving as my father in law did recently.

I have always believed a driving competence test at 65 - 70 would be a good move and i would happily take one as long as there was no cost involved, anyone who drives a vehicle over 3.5 ton has to have a certificate of personal competence (CPC) card or they are not allowed to drive this involves 7 hours in a classroom once a year where they go through *new rules in the highway code, road signs and many other topics (first aid, driving hours, vehicle checks etc) we all moan about it as we all think we are good drivers and know it all (including car drivers) but it is definitely is worth doing as many of us wouldn't pass our driving tests if we took one tomorrow.

*i was surprised how many have changed and have been added in the 45 years since i last read the highway code.

1710071118549.png

1710070783770.png
1710071887118.png

N

Last edited:
Hmm. I can drive over 3.5 ton, vehicle only and vehicle+trailer. No CPC here, am I missing something 😱

You can drive a vehicle up to 7.5 ton on a car licence If you drive the vehicle for a living you have to have a CPC card.

I think there are exemptions but for most of us a CPC card is needed or you risk getting a £1000 fine.

Do I need a CPC?

If you will be driving a vehicle that is over 3.5 tonnes or holding over 9 passengers and want to receive payment for doing so, then yes you do need a CPC.

Last edited:
The problem with stats is they dont give us the risk by age or the numbers of drivers in each age group and where do you draw the line when you say young drivers?

I live on a bit of road when the kids like to race around, we get a few cars in the hedge every year, occasionally one of top of the hedge, and recently one car managed to hit the speed sign and launch his car completely over the hedge and land in the nearby field. I always go out to see if they're OK, and every single time it's an 18-21 year old male.

I live on a bit of road when the kids like to race around, we get a few cars in the hedge every year, occasionally one of top of the hedge, and recently one car managed to hit the speed sign and launch his car completely over the hedge and land in the nearby field. I always go out to see if they're OK, and every single time it's an 18-21 year old male.

I am not saying young drivers are not a huge risk and its understandable why insurance companies make them pay through the nose for cover the term "Boy Racer" sums it up perfectly but as i said earlier there are a lot of older drivers who are on the road who shouldn't be a self assessment is not the answer no one wants to give up driving so obviously people are going to lie so they dont have to.

Do you need a medical for over 70 driving licence?
To renew your licence once you've reached 70, you will need to complete a medical self-assessment. This assessment is a series of simple questions about your health and any medical conditions that may impact your driving ability.

When i had my aorta op in 2018 i asked the doc if i would be able to drive again he sad i will let you know, long story sort he said yes no problem you were under 5.5cm i said right can i have confirmation for dvla and my insurance he said you don't need to and you don't need to see me again either

I thought we were all getting screwed because the cost of crashing an electric car is always a write off due to battery damage.

Oh & telematics isn't the cheapest insurance either.

My daughter was on telematic based insurance & it went up so much that even Admiral gave us a significantly cheaper quote.

I am dreading my insurance renewal as it near doubled last year despite having a clean license no claims etc and being an old guy at 46!

my son is looking to learn as 17, but found it less than half the cost to get a motorbike less than £1000 was far cheaper than any car.

its gone nuts i paid 3 times as much for my bike when his age, has went full circle.

Car insurance needs tighter regulation it pout of control

All you can do is shop around or try to get a lower price by telling your insurance company you have found cheaper elsewhere.

All you can do is shop around or try to get a lower price by telling your insurance company you have found cheaper elsewhere.

i do every year its getting worse, for life of me tell me how 1.5tdci focus presents 5 times the risk or a 160mph motorbike?

its gone mad my bike insurance is peanuts car is 5 times as much

It's not all about you as a driver.
Spares/costs/make/area/mileage/security/ etc etc and of course if they want your business.

I thought it was because you only had to tap an electric car with a shopping trolley &they write it off due to a damaged battery. Hence we must all share the pain as that's how insurance works.

But yes, we are being ripped off as usual

Do you know I think you might have a point about sharing the pain of all these fantastic electrical misadventures .... Missed that one.😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back