Poor Fermenter - Local shop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exib

Reaction score
Hi guys
Am still in the noob stages of home brew though managed to make a Coopers cereza and bottle it without to many issues. Getting carried away I have now got a Bulldog Four Finger and also Bulldog Cider on the go! I bought a new fermenter from my local homebrew shop so I could do 2 brews at the same time, it's a hambelton bard and to be honest was more expensive than purchasing online but trying to support local i bought it.

Now more fool me I should have preasure tested it, I did clean then sanitise. Put the Coopers cider kit in it and then the air lock through the lid. Now that was Sunday I can see that fermentation has begun but the air lock is doing nothing. Removing the airlock and the bung I can see the hole has been poorly drilled out and is oval shaped. I can see that there is a small lip of plastic stopping the bung from sitting flat.

I have tried to contact the shop today but they must close early, I see that Tesco has an offer on Fermenters and I have placed an order, can I pour the Coopers cider into the new Fermenter or should I get the lid replaced from local shop.

A few of my FV`s are not air tight but it doesn't really bother me tbh, the airlocks just sit there!! I know brewers who just cover a bucket with a towel.

I would leave it be and let it do its thing there`s not much chance of an infection after all, you`ll be more likely to pick one up transferring it to a different FV.

All my fermenting bins have tight snap on lids and no airlock at all. They don't need it as although some of the lids are really tight, they still let the gas out as the brew ferments. In the first crazy stages of fermentation they do puff up a bit but that's all. By the way as fermentation dies down they don't let air in as they're tight enough to need a pressure differential for movement of air / gas.
One thing to watch though is that if you pick up the FV by the handle to move it, the weight of beer makes the bottom sag and this will suck air in past the lid.

Latest posts

Back