Breaking news

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Front page daily mail - supermarkets rationing veg.

Some veg in short supply at the supermarkets, how long before panick buying starts, must be a quiet news day :roll:

Been struggling to get Broccoli for weeks now.

Apparently supermarkets are going to ration or limit how much you can buy.

At least it's important news. We need to know that we can't go in wasting food. Limit on how much fruit and veg we can buy.

Seen on BBC News this morning that Tesco's were limiting customers to 3 iceberg lettuces due to poor harvests. Bought 1 in Aldi a couple of days ago and it was a nearly a whopping £1.50. An alternative is spinach - good for you as well.

Seen on BBC News this morning that Tesco's were limiting customers to 3 iceberg lettuces due to poor harvests. Bought 1 in Aldi a couple of days ago and it was a nearly a whopping �£1.50. An alternative is spinach - good for you as well.

Aldi sell big bags of Kale atm too which is good for you.

Firstly this is hypocrisy by the supermarkets. ...when there's plenty of it they chuck most of it away! There's probably the right amount now ..
I've got some broccoli in my fridge....it's £20 if any one is interested. ..
Spinach,cabbage,onions,kale,sprouts,parsnips,celeriac ,from the allotment. ..

Cheers

Clint

You can grow salad in the winter, just that it isn't so popular hence most of the commercial growers don't do it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_wintersalad1.shtml

But yeah I tend to agree, eat whatever there is plenty of and we should stop importing fresh food from far flung places, it's daft. We can grow plenty of cabbages and other stuff here so stop eating asparagus in the winter!

I am concerned about some ingredients for brews that originate in Europe going up, especially grape juices etc.

For those complaining about the black market for Ed Sheeran tickets, would you pay three times as much for a courgette or cauliflower ( plus a booking fee, of course).

It's all hype based on the "brexit" effect, the new rule is if you can raise prices then do it now as people expect a big hit, NPower have just announced a 10% increase after years of overcharging it's about time they took some of the hit as well.

For those complaining about the black market for Ed Sheeran tickets, would you pay three times as much for a courgette or cauliflower ( plus a booking fee, of course).

It's all hype based on the "brexit" effect, the new rule is if you can raise prices then do it now as people expect a big hit, NPower have just announced a 10% increase after years of overcharging it's about time they took some of the hit as well.

I've sneaky feeling you're absolutely right on this. The thing is they can only charge what people are willing to pay so I think they fruit and veg sale will go down rather than profits going up as I think people will see F&V as 'expendable' prioritising other things like power bill and fuel and travel costs

They can charge whatever they like I dont eat the stuff so will not be getting ripped off.

Grow your own if you have time and even a little space, we're fed up buying second rate "european standard" **** fruit and veg, **** tasteless dutch tomatoes that are everywhere, iceberg lettuce (whoever thought that stuff was "fun to eat" needs to be on a permanent diet of the stuff) tasteless imported fruit that if it isn't rotted in the middle goes of within about two days of ripening.

Time for the British farmers to stand their ground and stop the big multiples ripping them off. ..

The trouble with this is if you get a salad in this country it is limp and tasteless. Go to Paris and order a salad and it is a whole different experience with tasty onions, lettuce tomatoes and dressing. much more inventive also.
They just have more natural tasting veg and salad in France and Spain (just a bit more wonky maybe)

Back