Brown ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewermax

Reaction score
Ive been enjoying doing homebrew ale for a few months and all going well I'm doing a brown ale for first time stared it 3 days ago and hasn't bubbled once I'm sitting next It and usually they start bubbling 24 72 after prep how long should I wait before buying or thinking about adding extra yeast any advice is this normal

Bubbling is not a reliable way of confirming fermentation. Is there any foam on top of the brew which is a more reliable sign of fermentation or try tightening the lid and airlock as the co2 sometimes finds leaks and bypasses the airlock giving the impression of no fermentation.

Bubbling is not a reliable way of confirming fermentation. Is there any foam on top of the brew which is a more reliable sign of fermentation or try tightening the lid and airlock as the co2 sometimes finds leaks and bypasses the airlock giving the impression of no fermentation.
Can't see any signs of foaming either

So, I think that will be Gervin / Nottingham yeast, so I would have expected it to have kicked off by now. What temp is it at?
Gotta be at least 20/21c it's in living room by radiator on heat pad my other different batch I did just before that one been bubbling good for days and isnt as close to raidiator or on heat pad

It's not worth messing about. Sprinkle another sachet of yeast over the surface and let it do its stuff.
Have you got any yeast?
Is there a homebrew shop near you?
I'd try to get it in there tomorrow if nothing happens overnight. But if you've got a spare, bung it in now.

It's not worth messing about. Sprinkle another sachet of yeast over the surface and let it do its stuff.
Have you got any yeast?
Is there a homebrew shop near you?
I'd try to get it in there tomorrow if nothing happens overnight. But if you've got a spare, bung it in now.
I haven't got any in what type should I get for brown ale I've never bought yeast separately

Like Marshbrewer said, any yeast for making ordinary beer. Lager yeast would do at a push, but would be second choice. Avoid yeasts for making wheat beer, saisons and Belgian yeasts.
Depends on the shop. They used to do Gervin in Wilco. If you go to a homebrew shop they'll know what to give you, probably S-04 or US-05.
Hopefully, it'll be showing signs of life by the morning, anyway.
Keep us informed.

Ive been enjoying doing homebrew ale for a few months and all going well I'm doing a brown ale for first time stared it 3 days ago and hasn't bubbled once I'm sitting next It and usually they start bubbling 24 72 after prep how long should I wait before buying or thinking about adding extra yeast any advice is this normal
I put on a simply lager just this Saturday gone and it was bubbling by Sunday. Bubbling away nicely now. In the conservatory, temp ranges 16-20C this time of year. I put Vaseline around the air lock to ensure it's sealed. Just checking you didn't put the yeast in when the mix was hot? That could kill it. Only other thing could be an old yeast maybe.

Back