Beer Kit Brewing and Water Treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasthetaff

Reaction score
I've been home brewing beer using kits for a couple of years. Recently, I bought lots of other equipment and books to brew an all grain mash. As I'm sure you all know it looks to take a lot of time and I want to plan everything well beforehand!!

So, I've tried a couple of quick experiments using tinned syrup first.

I know according to much of the reading I've done if you are using beer kits the water shouldn't alter the taste too much but I've experienced the home brew tang in each of my many home brews, despite being very controlled over temperature, timings, measurements and so on. Also, I can't imagine the experts who have written these books have tried home brewing in every part of the UK with all types of water and treatments such as chloramine? I have a friend who brews in the same area as me experiencing the same home brew tang and he's brewing all grain mash.

I have tests two in mind:

1) Campden tablet
2) Gypsum tablet.

As I live in a soft water area I thought the latter might be appropriate.

Still, for reasons unknown to me I've started with the campden tablet. I added half a crushed campden tablet to a 23L fermenter vessel and filled with water. Then I used this water to boil the 3L of kettle water required and added c14L of the campden tablet treated cold water from the fermenter vessel and stirred thoroughly. I only wanted to have a total of 18L in the fermenter to increase the alcohol strength. Once the temperature fell to 20oC (which was around 10 hours later) I added the hops and yeast sachets. On reflection I'm not sure why I didn't add less boiling water, but there you go.

The following day, the fermentation process hadn't started. Any thoughts on why? Some of my thoughts so far:
· I read in another place on this forum you should wait for 24 hour before adding the yeast as it stuns the yeast?
· Does this mean the yeast will kick in at some point?
· Should I add more yeast?
· Can I add anything to reverse the substance stopping fermentation?
· What is this substance?
· Have I ruined the batch?

Thanks in advance.
Phil.

My understanding is the campden tablet will knock back the yeast (not sure if thats the correct word) but will dissipate after 24 hours. I think the yeast will still kick in but it could be worth adding more if you have any just in case.

I would leave it a day.

I am on my 2nd brew (so still a newbie) but for both of mine I used half a crushed campden tablet in my starting 23l of water just like you did - both mine have fermented but didn't give any noticeable signs of fermentation starting until a good 1.5 days after pitching the yeast.

It has also got colder so are you sure the brew is sitting at the correct temp ?

I would leave another day and see if its started - you could always add a pinch (1/3rd of a teaspoon) of yeast nutrient and give it a quick stir with a sanitised stirrer if it doesn't show signs of fermenting after another day or so.

Thanks both for your responses.

I decided to sit pretty as advised and this morning I can see the fermentation is well in swing.

Regarding the temperature: I have a sticky temperature reader on the fermenter and combined with a beer belt on a timer I manage to keep it simmering at 20oC.

Phil.

Thanks both for your responses.

I decided to sit pretty as advised and this morning I can see the fermentation is well in swing.

Regarding the temperature: I have a sticky temperature reader on the fermenter and combined with a beer belt on a timer I manage to keep it simmering at 20oC.

Phil.

I'm not sure if they're all the same but my stick on temperature reader was 2 degrees out, it said 20 but my digital thermometer read 18. Mind you, my digital thermometer cost £3 from China so it could be the other way around. :lol:

On the water thing, I have started to use bottled spring water from Home Bargains at .29p / 2 litres. Not tasted the results yet though.

Well, 9 litres of my campden treated beer is now in a mini cask and around 14 bottles too. Only one smashed bottle from the crown capper!! It took a little longer to ferment given the knock back of the yeast... and I left it a little longer so I could bottle over the weekend.

I have started another batch for my second experiment. There wasn't a huge amount of information out there on gypsum and South Walean water. Plus my local sample of Water records didn't give the right information needed for the calculators... so I went for a reserved half a teaspoon. I did change my mind though and added half a campden tablet to the water first and left it for 24 hours in a sterilised fermenter before adding the gypsum!! Changed my mind and am now confident it's the chloramine causing the tang!

DoctorMick - thanks for the info on the sticky temperature reader. I bought a long thermometer, but had never used it!! Tried it out after your post and as with yourself the real temperature is 2oC lower than the reading...

I'll give you all an update in two weeks or so!

Back