Beer goes dark

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilpalm

Reaction score
Hello
I'm using plastic barrel, and home brew kits to brew own beer. I follow the instructions..add 3l boiling water to mash, add suger then cool water and add yeast...before bottle conditioning.
I'm frequently finding that ales and bitters are coming out really dark..
Much darker than advertised...
Does anyone have any ideas why that might be?

What kits? To what volume? They might just be using a generic description or advertising picture. If its grain kits there may be some variation in malts used as some vary in colour.

Both these could be right, if it tastes like wet card board it is oxidised, if it tastes good i wouldn't worry about the color, as Clint say you do get variation
Well in my experience with oxidation is you lose the colour almost immediately, literally 24 - 36 hours the colour will start to change, then you lose any hop flavour and aroma if it's a hop forward beer. The beer is perfectly drinkable at this stage for many weeks before you start to get the flavours associated with oxidation. So you can get away with it with a malt forward beer like a traditional British ale for example, but for a hoppy IPA it just becomes pretty flavourless for a few weeks before it really goes on the turn.

Latest posts

Back