Valentine Arm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is a valentine arm. I didn't invent it. A brewing friend uses one and i liked the idea. :thumb:

2965923191_54e81f9306.jpg

Basically it allows you to set it a certain height-ie the height you would like your liquor to be above your grainbed. It also only flows as much out as what is going in. :cool:
So you just set the flow from your HLT. You don't have to worry about juggling about with taps for the duration of the sparge.

2965923203_52322e8a66.jpg

Pretty simple really. Easy to make too. I'd hate to go back to sparging without one. All that fiddling around trying to balance the flow from two taps. Then once you've got it done a tiny bit of husk gets in the tap and reduces the flow a little. :evil:

2965923205_053caf38c0.jpg

DISCLAIMER. I just ran water through my brewery for demo purposes. I didn't use my sparge device either. Also my elements are minging and need a clean. The ply that is under my boiler is yuk too. Both these issues are to be sorted at weekend. :whistle:

Lovely job :clap:

If I fly sparged, I'd be tempted to construct one ;)

Hmm which reminds me, I really should get around to fly sparging one of these days - batch sparging is starting to irritate me.

i'm thinking of giving that a go with the spare bit's of copper piping i have as i fly sparge, and nearly ALWAYS forget to restart the liquor flow if i've had to stop it :lol:

That's great MEB.

I assume you adjust for the height of the grain bed/water level by the horizontal to vertical position of the arm?

Very useful - I think I remember Vossy making one once

I posted about it, but never got round to trying it unfortunately.
I like the idea of it though and may try it eventually.
The CBA website link to it appears to have disappeared at the mo.

Boys I like the look of this simple bit of kit. Im thinking about trying a fly sparge soem of these days.
From What I can gather on the fly is more efficient than batch sparging,
I suppose my question is do I really need one of those spoiining things or can I just place a diffuser screen on top of the mash 1.e a flat plastic lid with lots of holes in it? and run the liqour onto the top of that?

Frisp, have a look at this from ChrisG's Brewday thread

Simple but effective :D

IMG_3568.JPG

Hope you don't mind me using the pic ChrisG :thumb:

Thts the kind of idea but I was thinking about laying the
plastic lid/ sheet on top of the grain and just letting the water permeate down through the mash. Or do I need an element of sprinkle to fly sparge?

jamesb said:
That's great MEB.

I assume you adjust for the height of the grain bed/water level by the horizontal to vertical position of the arm?

Spot on. Easy aye?

Frisp said:
Boys I like the look of this simple bit of kit. Im thinking about trying a fly sparge soem of these days.
From What I can gather on the fly is more efficient than batch sparging,
I suppose my question is do I really need one of those spoiining things or can I just place a diffuser screen on top of the mash 1.e a flat plastic lid with lots of holes in it? and run the liqour onto the top of that?

Sparging comes from the Latin 'Spargo' which means to sprinkle. As long as you 'sprinkle' the liquor on top of the grain bed you are sparging. How you achieve that is completely up to you. Batch sparging is mashing again. Not sparging-here comes all those with arguments cos they batch sparge. Sparging means to sprinkle. How are you sprinkling when you are filling up with water and then draining? Your not, your mashing again. :twisted:

Then there's no sparge brewing. :wha:

As long as you end up with beer that you, or whoever you serve it to, are happy to drink then you've had a succesful brew. Have you not? Whether you do a 'Laundry rinse' or a sparge, HERMS, RIMS or traditional brew. The best way is the method you are most confident with and trust the most.

But my way is the best. :rofl:

Bringing an old thread back from the dark ages, would fitting a valve on top of the arm help with siphoning it out at the end? Just close it off and it will pull a siphon?

Back