Spent grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrek

Reaction score
What do you do with your spent grains after your mash? Compost? I use mine in grounbait for fishing to bulk it up and add a bit of sweetness. I saw a recipie on here for dog treats but are there any other novel ideas on what to do with the grains?

Not got any chickens and I don't hink that swmbo would like me throwing 15kg of malt on the lawn.

If you want mice then chuck them on the garden, or even better come and collect mine, who have moved in to the shed :twisted:

Archtronics said:
Just chuck it on the lawn, either the birds eat it or it feeds the grass.

:eek: Not the way for me, never mind mice, which are bad enough as Sean said :twisted: don't want to end up with a plague of rats. ;)

I left the "dressings" from processing 24 pheasants in a bag in the workshop once for 48 hours and a rat took the lot under the work bench, sat there munching as I cleared them out. :twisted: :twisted:

S

Mine goes on the compost heap but thinking this might be a bad idea as your not supposed to put cooked food on there and that's what it is.

One of the folks on Gardener's World on Radio 4 recommended just digging them in to the soil a few weeks back. It was in a response to a question about best free stuff for the garden & she said used to get them from a local microbrewery

I do just that Dave, Spread it over the garden and dig it in . . . I have used it as a mulch in the past but it really bloomin well stinks . . . Rats are not an issue for me with 5 cats . . .Plus the neighbours have a couple of really nice ratters in the form of a couple of terriers

I have tried feeding it to the Chickens but they only eat it when it is warm after it cools they just ignore it. Mostly it gets spread as a mulch on the front flower/Rose beds. Ive used the last 2 brews as a mulch on my new grape vine since I got it 3 months ago. I'm not sure if it has shed it's leaves for winter or if the grain mulch has killed it :whistle:

Easy Peasie said:
I dig mine in the soil and compost, would it really attract mice and rats, seeing as though it is really just spent husks, there is no kernel left. :wha:

Hmmmm.... I stopped putting spent grains in my compost after the dalek when from 80% full to 20% full in a couple of months. Then I saw the rat had made a nice little tunnel for itself through the compost!

Now I dig it straight into the soil on my allotment.

A couple loaves of bread and pizza dough, then the rest gets dumped into the bin as I don't have a compost heap or a garden to speak of :(

i spilt some on my lawn when getting it to the compost heap. i spread the spill so it wasnt a pile.. 3 weeks later that area had the tallest greenest grass in the lawn and had worm casts that i mistook for cat **** from a distance they were so big..

ever since i have spread it over the grass...

Not allowed to feed it to any anomals that will put it into the human food chain anymore - I reckon the big breweries must be getting hammered on disposal costs since foot and mouth . Over the years we had fed stock on allsorts from merrydown apple pulp upwards .Grandfather the maltster used to keep a pig or two to feed up with spent goods from his brewery customers , I recall . I wonder where its all going ? Dried out as fuel for power stations ? Many years ago when living on a very old flower nursery that was slowly going bankrupt and falling down around us the old boilers were being fed old wooden fishboxes from grimsby and billingsgate ,then tyres and lastly the dried dross from bovril manufacture.....now those were some memorable nasal experiences . :sick: :eek: ;)

Well living on a farm I have alot of grass to spread it on... but alot of rats too :( Thank god for my Cat Mafia.

It was bad enough trying to keep the pigs out of the orchard for windfall apples....they were pretty frisky on half rotted cider - cant even imagine the chaos of pigs on beer and sugar !

Latest posts

Back