Removeable SS filter bin for spent grain???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulcford

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new member of the Forums, I have not brewed for 25 years and I am just getting used to the new equipment around nowadays. I bought a Klarstein Maischfest Boiler / Mashkettle 2nd hand and it came came with a stainless steel removable filter bin (for spent grain). What is confusing me is the fact that it has solid sides and a fine steel filter bottom. It is described as a filter for spent grain, but I am concerned that because of the solid sides that the grain will not get mashed as well as it would in a BIAB.

Am I worrying unnescessarily?

Stock photo of the equipment here The kit Scroll through the photos to see the filter bin, cooling coil and Mash Kettle together.

That is how most AIO machine systems work with a grain bucket that is sold with a mesh bottom(some newer ones now have perforated sides).
My machine is solid sides with a bottom mesh and it will mash ok but most AIO systems also have a pump to recirculate the wort through the grain bed having said that it is there to improve your efficiency only so without it it is ok you just will not get as much efficiency but well acceptable.
You can add a little more grain if you want to adjust most recipes which work on approx 70% Eff and you will probably get a little less @ 60% as a guess.
You can sparge and squeeze the grain to get as much out of it as possible too

I think the solid sides won’t be a problem but compared to an actual BIAB it has more dead space. You may need to stir a lot to distribute temperature better during the mash. If you translate all of the German reviews does that give anything useful about it?

Latest posts

Back