spent grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am sure there have been many discussions about what to do with spent grain on here but i was wondering what most on here do? Is it only good for compost?

wmfd said:
Trade for eggs with someone who has chickens

David

that is a cracking idea - pun intended ;) seriously I'm going to try to do that too !

wmfd said:
wmfd said:
that is a cracking idea - pun intended ;)
:rofl:

Apparently they go mad for it, although be ready for the "will it make the chickens drunk?" question which seems to be obligatory :wha:

David

:lol: I'll let you know!

I used to give mine to a mate who kept chickens - but a dog killed them :( Hopefully he`ll get some new ones later in the year - so in the compost at the moment ;)

My mate did some tests with his chickens and only gave some of them the grain and he noticed the ones with the grain bulked up alot quicker! If you think about it all the sugar is converted ready to be digested!
I trade mine for Eggs, rabbits and horse ****!

If you think about it all the sugars have been rinsed out and ended up in the wort :roll:

We feed it to the horse as a suppliment in winter, it gives bulk but no nutrients (to speak of) so she doesn't get too fat cause she can't get out

If anyone makes a nice bread from it, do they have a recipe they could share?

For me putting spent grain on the compost heap might encourage, rats and mice.
Maybe I'm paranoid but can't forget the a time I "processed" 12 brace of pheasants and left the skins (don't bother plucking um) feet, heads and guts in two plastic bags ready for the bin. Went to the workshop two days later to dispose of the bags and they were gone, so I assumed my mate had beaten me two it. :? Anyway one of the dog appeared with a head, which I took off her, but she soon appeared with another :? I then noticed she was getting em from under the bottom shelf of the workbench, only a couple of inches off the floor. I raked the whole lot out and re-bagged it. Sitting at the back was a rat "as big as a cat", they always are :lol:
Must have been pretty fed up, discovered after doing all that work, too fat to move :)
I am now most careful about cleaning up spilt grain and do my utmost not to encourage them. !!
! empty my mash tun into a bucket and take it to my mates ducks, but dogs are always keen to steal a bit if I turn my back, but they find it hard to digest. ;)
Not sure how the old breweries used to cope with rats and mice, gnawing at hessian sacks ??

Aleman said:
If you think about it all the sugars have been rinsed out and ended up in the wort :roll:

We feed it to the horse as a suppliment in winter, it gives bulk but no nutrients (to speak of) so she doesn't get too fat cause she can't get out

My mashes are 100% effeicent so there is still some sugars in there ;) Even more so on the Ris When I had to chuck grain still producing 1.050 runnings!

mine goes for animal feed, mainly pigs - occasionally I get some eggs in return but the chickens aren't laying at the moment :(

Latest posts

Back