Cask options

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not having much luck with bottling and want to move to cask.

However, I'm not going to drink 5 gallons a few days after cracking a cask open.

What are my options? Small casks? Gas powered things?

Thanks,
JT

Hi,

I'm not having much luck with bottling and want to move to cask.

However, I'm not going to drink 5 gallons a few days after cracking a cask open.

What are my options? Small casks? Gas powered things?

Thanks,
JT

I recently bought The Brewferm Party Style kegs , 5 ltr mini kegs there are great serve the perfect pint every time :thumb:

Why not 5 gallon kegs? Once its primed its good for months on end you don't have to quaff it in days

Am I missing something? I thought when you opened it for the first time you had to drink it all really quickly?

Could you post a link to an example?

Thanks,
Jamie

A lot of folk know these as pressure barrels. I've kept beer in them for months...it only gets better with time. Providing it's sealed and has a head of co2.

Yup ,that's what you call a cask and us call a pressure barrel,but IMO don't buy that budget one with the small cap as they split over time,source yourself a king keg or better still a Cornelius stainless keg then sort out how you want to gas it and don't go down the small bulbs of gas.too expensive

£30 for that, or £40ish for a used corny.... I know where I'd spend my money (if I didn't already have two pressure barrels and the wife would probably kill me if a shiny silver corny keg was to appear in the spare room!)

This hobby just keeps growing doesn't it....

Do people use these gas systems for British ales or just the american craft style beer?

Cask. Open non-pressurised vessel, gravity fed. Keg. Pressurised vessel, using an external pressure supply to deliver contents. So nowhere near the same. So to be clear, there is no you and us, just those who ask for advice, and those who provide it.

I have king kegs both top and bottom tap these are kegs not casks :lol:

The OP was correct with his question

This hobby just keeps growing doesn't it....

Do people use these gas systems for British ales or just the american craft style beer?
Either,its the way to go if you want the pub draught ale feel rather than the sparkly fizz of the bottle.I have 2 king kegs one top tap other bottom tap and also gave one Cornelius which beats king kegs hands down imo

Yes. Before you edited your post to add the stuff after 'fizz of the bottle'. Honestly, still don't know what you are trying to say.

Yes. Before you edited your post to add the stuff after 'fizz of the bottle'. Honestly, still don't know what you are trying to say.

I only edited the post to say what kegs I had,the guy was asking for information on kegs and I was giving my opinion on the advantage of using them,it is a fact that the beer out of a bottle is quite different to the same beer out of a keg and he should be aware of that,BTW I am pedantic as regards posts and do edit a lot as I post from my phone and a lot of the time I get words such as of posting as if,like I say I'm pedantic and have to edit them to the correct word

Back