Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > Mikkellers Book of beer.

Old 26-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
geigercntr
Miembro senior

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Put together a version of the Green Gold using the get er brewed custom kits. They didn't have Santiam hops though. Any suggestions on a common replacement?
According to Google the suggested replacements have a lower ibu than the book gives for Santiam (3% compared to 9% in the book for Santiam)

Brew days thread

Brewing:
doNotGoseGentleIntoThatGoodNight
Conditioning/Drinking:
/b1773R
Planning:
Saison - split batch ½ with MJ French Saison, ½ with MJ+Orval dregs
Stout

Old 26-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #22
Brewdoug

Liked 80 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by geigercntr View Post
Put together a version of the Green Gold using the get er brewed custom kits. They didn't have Santiam hops though. Any suggestions on a common replacement?
According to Google the suggested replacements have a lower ibu than the book gives for Santiam (3% compared to 9% in the book for Santiam)
Think when I was looking at this recipe Tettnang was suggested as a replacement for Santiam
geigercntr Likes This 
Old 27-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #23
peteplus1

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadixon View Post
That's the one.

I found everything easily online (I use Brew UK).

What do you think about the fact there's no dry hop? Does that seem odd to you for a black IPA?
By the way, do you find brew uk a good reliable online set up? I'm looking to order regular ingredients from some such place . Do they let you but specific grain amounts or is it just 500g, 1kg bags etc?

Old 27-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #24
teadixon

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
By the way, do you find brew uk a good reliable online set up? I'm looking to order regular ingredients from some such place . Do they let you but specific grain amounts or is it just 500g, 1kg bags etc?
Generally pretty reliable - not the cheapest but good range. Just 500g and 1 kg bags unfortunately.

Old 24-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #25
teadixon

Quote:
I'm not that far advanced into my brewing yet to know. I'm sure there are plenty who can advise though. Let me know if you get it going!
Did you end up doing the Firestone Walker Wookey Jack yet?

I'm brewing it this weekend - looking forward to it! Not done a black IPA before.

There's no Dry Hop in the recipe but I'm planning to do one - 50/50 Citra and Amarillo.

Old 26-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #26
peteplus1

Quote:
Did you end up doing the Firestone Walker Wookey Jack yet?

I'm brewing it this weekend - looking forward to it! Not done a black IPA before.

There's no Dry Hop in the recipe but I'm planning to do one - 50/50 Citra and Amarillo.
No I did the milk stout again, just yesterday actually . Going to split the batch and tweak both adding some toasted coconut in one and some fat washed hazelnut liqueur to the other. Love to know how you get on though!

Old 26-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #27
geigercntr
Miembro senior

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewdoug View Post
Think when I was looking at this recipe Tettnang was suggested as a replacement for Santiam
Cheers for that. No tett in my freezer unfortunately! Going to mull over Hallertau Blanc, Saaz, Cascade, Perle or just think **** it and wang a load of columbus in!

Old 26-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #28
teadixon

Quote:
No I did the milk stout again, just yesterday actually . Going to split the batch and tweak both adding some toasted coconut in one and some fat washed hazelnut liqueur to the other. Love to know how you get on though!
I did it today - had some efficiency issues though. OG came up at 1.066 instead of 1.074, 59% efficient according to my brew software so I'm wondering what went wrong. Still - if I hit the FG it'll still be 7.2% ABV. Not quite the 8.3 it's meant to be but I think I'll manage.

As I said, I'm dry hopping it as the idea of an IPA that's not dry hopped is completely alien to me.

Those Milk Stouts sounds lovely! Maybe we can organise a bottle swap?
peteplus1 Likes This 
Old 27-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #29
peteplus1

Quote:
I did it today - had some efficiency issues though. OG came up at 1.066 instead of 1.074, 59% efficient according to my brew software so I'm wondering what went wrong. Still - if I hit the FG it'll still be 7.2% ABV. Not quite the 8.3 it's meant to be but I think I'll manage.

As I said, I'm dry hopping it as the idea of an IPA that's not dry hopped is completely alien to me.

Those Milk Stouts sounds lovely! Maybe we can organise a bottle swap?
Sure thing. Will wait on the outcome of mine though. Last time i made it it was one of the best I've done so far. Still having ups and downs with brews though. Fingers crossed!

Old 20-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #30
teadixon

Quote:
Sure thing. Will wait on the outcome of mine though. Last time i made it it was one of the best I've done so far. Still having ups and downs with brews though. Fingers crossed!
How are you getting on?

My process is far from perfect BTW. Mine's settled at 1.014 so that's 6.8% ABV, not quite the 8+% I was going for. Samples are tasting pretty pretty good though.

It's stayed in the FV a bit longer than planned because my little boy got hold of my hydrometer and smashed it - had to buy a new one before I could take the FG. Going to Dry Hop it tomorrow night I reckon and bottle on Friday or Saturday - planning to bottle a couple without the dry hop so I can compare the recipe to my own version.