Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > Mikkellers Book of beer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
geigercntr
Miembro senior
 
geigercntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: The North West
Posts: 218
Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Default

Put together a version of the Green Gold using the get er brewed custom kits. They didn't have Santiam hops though. Any suggestions on a common replacement?
According to Google the suggested replacements have a lower ibu than the book gives for Santiam (3% compared to 9% in the book for Santiam)
__________________

Brew days thread

Brewing:
doNotGoseGentleIntoThatGoodNight
Conditioning/Drinking:
/b1773R
Planning:
Saison - split batch ½ with MJ French Saison, ½ with MJ+Orval dregs
Stout
geigercntr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #22
Brewdoug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Northampton
Posts: 188
Liked 80 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geigercntr View Post
Put together a version of the Green Gold using the get er brewed custom kits. They didn't have Santiam hops though. Any suggestions on a common replacement?
According to Google the suggested replacements have a lower ibu than the book gives for Santiam (3% compared to 9% in the book for Santiam)
Think when I was looking at this recipe Tettnang was suggested as a replacement for Santiam
Brewdoug is offline  
geigercntr Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #23
peteplus1
Senior Member
 
peteplus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 253
Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadixon View Post
That's the one.

I found everything easily online (I use Brew UK).

What do you think about the fact there's no dry hop? Does that seem odd to you for a black IPA?
By the way, do you find brew uk a good reliable online set up? I'm looking to order regular ingredients from some such place . Do they let you but specific grain amounts or is it just 500g, 1kg bags etc?
peteplus1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #24
teadixon
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London
Posts: 66
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
By the way, do you find brew uk a good reliable online set up? I'm looking to order regular ingredients from some such place . Do they let you but specific grain amounts or is it just 500g, 1kg bags etc?
Generally pretty reliable - not the cheapest but good range. Just 500g and 1 kg bags unfortunately.
teadixon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #25
teadixon
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London
Posts: 66
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
I'm not that far advanced into my brewing yet to know. I'm sure there are plenty who can advise though. Let me know if you get it going!
Did you end up doing the Firestone Walker Wookey Jack yet?

I'm brewing it this weekend - looking forward to it! Not done a black IPA before.

There's no Dry Hop in the recipe but I'm planning to do one - 50/50 Citra and Amarillo.
teadixon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #26
peteplus1
Senior Member
 
peteplus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 253
Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadixon View Post
Did you end up doing the Firestone Walker Wookey Jack yet?

I'm brewing it this weekend - looking forward to it! Not done a black IPA before.

There's no Dry Hop in the recipe but I'm planning to do one - 50/50 Citra and Amarillo.
No I did the milk stout again, just yesterday actually . Going to split the batch and tweak both adding some toasted coconut in one and some fat washed hazelnut liqueur to the other. Love to know how you get on though!
peteplus1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #27
geigercntr
Miembro senior
 
geigercntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: The North West
Posts: 218
Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewdoug View Post
Think when I was looking at this recipe Tettnang was suggested as a replacement for Santiam
Cheers for that. No tett in my freezer unfortunately! Going to mull over Hallertau Blanc, Saaz, Cascade, Perle or just think **** it and wang a load of columbus in!
geigercntr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #28
teadixon
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London
Posts: 66
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
No I did the milk stout again, just yesterday actually . Going to split the batch and tweak both adding some toasted coconut in one and some fat washed hazelnut liqueur to the other. Love to know how you get on though!
I did it today - had some efficiency issues though. OG came up at 1.066 instead of 1.074, 59% efficient according to my brew software so I'm wondering what went wrong. Still - if I hit the FG it'll still be 7.2% ABV. Not quite the 8.3 it's meant to be but I think I'll manage.

As I said, I'm dry hopping it as the idea of an IPA that's not dry hopped is completely alien to me.

Those Milk Stouts sounds lovely! Maybe we can organise a bottle swap?
teadixon is offline  
peteplus1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #29
peteplus1
Senior Member
 
peteplus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 253
Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadixon View Post
I did it today - had some efficiency issues though. OG came up at 1.066 instead of 1.074, 59% efficient according to my brew software so I'm wondering what went wrong. Still - if I hit the FG it'll still be 7.2% ABV. Not quite the 8.3 it's meant to be but I think I'll manage.

As I said, I'm dry hopping it as the idea of an IPA that's not dry hopped is completely alien to me.

Those Milk Stouts sounds lovely! Maybe we can organise a bottle swap?
Sure thing. Will wait on the outcome of mine though. Last time i made it it was one of the best I've done so far. Still having ups and downs with brews though. Fingers crossed!
peteplus1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #30
teadixon
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: London
Posts: 66
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
Sure thing. Will wait on the outcome of mine though. Last time i made it it was one of the best I've done so far. Still having ups and downs with brews though. Fingers crossed!
How are you getting on?

My process is far from perfect BTW. Mine's settled at 1.014 so that's 6.8% ABV, not quite the 8+% I was going for. Samples are tasting pretty pretty good though.

It's stayed in the FV a bit longer than planned because my little boy got hold of my hydrometer and smashed it - had to buy a new one before I could take the FG. Going to Dry Hop it tomorrow night I reckon and bottle on Friday or Saturday - planning to bottle a couple without the dry hop so I can compare the recipe to my own version.
teadixon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
beer book SparkyJay General Beer Discussion 10 13-05-2015 07:30 AM
Mikkeller's Book of Beer Giveaway! Admin General Beer Discussion 188 27-04-2015 01:58 PM
The History of Beer (book recommendations) jpbl68 The Snug 11 27-02-2011 04:42 PM
Beer yeast book Brewmarc General Beer Brewing Discussion 5 25-10-2010 11:41 AM

Newest Threads