Wine too sweet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojiro

Reaction score
Hi, I have made a batch of grape juice alcohol. Wjen I added the sugar I did'nt notice that there was 20% extra. No the wine tastes too sweet. Is there anything I can do to reduce the sweetness? Ie could I add more yeast?. Thanks.

Has it finished fermenting? If it has, more yeast may not help as it may be at the yeast's tolerance level already.
How much sugar did you use (including the sugar in the juice) ?
Diluting it with more juice would get the ABV down to a point where the yeast might get going again

Hi, it finishwd fermenting and I have let it sit for 3 weeks. I used a kilo of sugar plus 20%. I dont know how much sugar was already in the juice. It also leaves a bad after taste.

You have added 1200g of sugar and each carton could have anything from 100g to 160g which my WGJ and fruit juices usually are, this is far too much sugar for a 4.5 litres, next time aim for a sugar content of 1100g (including the cartons) for 13%.

Thanks for the advice. Will lower sugar next time. Think this batch will go down the sink.

No, don't dump it.
How much grape juice?
If the full 4.5l, I reckon your best bet is to get another 4.5l and turn it into 2 gallons instead of 1.
Only maybe not all grape juice, maybe half and half grape and apple, or something.
That'd give a sensible ABV and lose the sweetness once it ferments out.
The yeast may get going again by itself, or you might need new yeast.
The poor flavour is mainly just coz it's very young, don't dump it just coz of that, there's every chance it'll improve to at least drinkable, probably OK, possibly nice.

kojiro said:
Thanks for the advice. Will lower sugar next time. Think this batch will go down the sink.

I have edited my earlier post as when i read it again it looked like i was being a bit arsey, no offence was meant.

Latest posts

Back