Parsnip wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up 1.5kg of parsnips in christmas week from our local Asda for the grand total of 21p - yep 21 pence - and having never done a parsnip wine before, thought it might be worth a shot.

Immediately put them in the freezer and forgot about it all. Then last night i remembered why there was a demijohn in the corner of the kitchen and took them out to defrost. This morning I chopped them up fairly fine and added 200gm chopped raisins, a strong cup of black yorkshire tea, a dash of lemon juice and 1kg of sugar to a pan with 4l of water.
Brought it to the boil and left it on a very gentle simmer for 2 hours. Strained the juice in to a demijohn and gave the remaining solids a bit of a squeeze through a sieve to extract the last of the juice and topped it up to a sensible level.

Viola, I have made 4.5l of muddy water.
hmmmmm
That looks quite dark compared to what I've seen on the t'interweb. However I am sure with time it will clear. But I doubt it will be a pale wine and will look more like a bottle of beer :cool:

Anyway, just about cooled down now, so going to add in some Youngs all purpose white wine yeast and see what happens.
OG of 1.10. No idea what the FG will be as i cant find much info about this yeasts abilities.... so it will be what it will be. But as long as its over 10% and under 14% I will be happy.
I will be even more happy if it tastes nice. But i wont know that until next winter

Attachments

• PXL_20240112_164335092.jpg
    PXL_20240112_164335092.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7
I think it potentially has potential.
I like roasted parsnips and they turn quite sweet, so must be plenty of fermentables. Hard to picture what the flavour will be like.

Awe! I've done my boil and it's sitting in a plastic tub. Been there 4 days. Fermentation going like a rocket. When it calms down and clears a little, I'll pop it into the demi John.
How much ginger did you use,?
Maybe I can pop some into the FV?
Thanks

I'll have to dig around for the recipe book, not 100% sure where it is... not much though. Hang fire.

Use fresh ginger if you can. Sweeter taste and fresher in the fv

Powered ginger will be darker in taste. & will add a dust to the bottom of the DJ, that is a pita to rack out.

Boiling and fermenting will give a different flavour to adding later the the fv.

I would steep fresh ginger in boiling water and add that... to taste, rather than "lob in"

My parsnip wine been bubbling away nicely for a week. Clearing slowly and I'm ready syphon off into a demi john but find I have excess.
Even allowing for leaving a cm or 2 behind.
It seems a waste but can't fit more than a gallon into the demi John.
Any thoughts on what to do with 2+ litres?
Thanks

After one week in FV decided to take the SG and pop into demi john (s).
One full demi and one half full.
Nice sediment left behind.
SG was 1008!
Yikes
In one week a big drop from 1072.
I'd used ordinary bakers yeast. Keep in warm utility room but no heating belt or pad.

I'm thinking of adding a fruit juice to the half full demi john and some sugar.
Any thoughts folks?

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_114859817.jpg
    IMG_20240119_114859817.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
Of course the correct thing to do with parsnips is make stout! :D

I have recently scaled up my recipe so as to use four packets of parsnips instead of three, and with care, I can just fit that into my stockpot. That will give me around 18 bottles per batch.

Latest posts

Back