Storing Open Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK117

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm doing a small batch this weekend that won't need a whole 11.5g packet of yeast, but at £4 a pop from the home brew shop, I was hoping that I could keep the rest for the next brew. The guy in the shop was adamant that I'd have to throw the rest away, but I question his motive for saying that being the cynical person I am!

I've seen other posts mention keeping yeast in the fridge or freezer, but they don't seem to address packs that have already been opened.

Is it possible to store an open packet of yeast for later use? If so, how and for how long?

Cheers !

at the end of the day you could always make a starter with it when your ready if it works great, use it. If not you haven not lost out!

That's some pricey yeast :eek:

you shouldn't have a problem though - I used to use a 500g pack of S-05 and it lived in the freezer sealed up with a plastic clip ( a good one mind to keep it pretty airtight ). On a brew day it would come out early on and have the correct amount for the brew measured out and go back in the freezer.. never had a problem and used the lot over a long period :thumb:

You could order a single sachet of yeast from the Malt Miller and get it delivered for less than that!

I've kept some cider yeast in the fridge and it worked fine, although the advice to keep it in the freezer is sound.

Latest posts

Back