Carbonating and Aging Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris17

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve never brewed or even tasted mead before but I have been brewing beer for about 5 years. Have just found out my second child is on the way. With my first, I brewed an imperial stout to celebrate. This time I’d like to brew something that I could potentially age a bottle or two of to open on second baby’s 18th birthday. I’ve read that mead can be quite good for aging, so thinking about having a go, although I know it’s probably not common to age it for this long.

I was thinking about doing a carbonated mead in a champagne bottle with a champagne cork purely for the novelty of popping it open. Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on this. Would it still be carbonated in 18 years? I was thinking of brewing a batch and carbonating half and leaving the other still to see how they compare.

Also, when carbonating a mead and leaving it to age in the bottle, would it be best to try and remove any yeast? I’ve read about people disgorging using the champagne method, although I don’t really fancy this. I do have a kegging set up for my beer so could buy a beer gun, force carbonate and then bottle. I’m thinking I would end up with less residual yeast this way?

I’m in the early stages of thinking about this and as mentioned don’t really know anything about mead so please let me know you’re thoughts! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back