Beer Not coming out of Keg tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I have finished my brew put into the keg Which is the top one from ballyhoo
https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/registe...2-injection-valve-pressure-indicator-p-4.html and Wanted to put a few in bottles to see what the difference is between keg and bottle but when I turn the tap to get some beer out nothing comes out not one drop.I know it uses a flot system Have I got to wait until beer pressure builds up or is there something wrong with the keg (Which I hope not )

Aaaa. Ok, full disclosure, I'm totally wasted and it's way past midnight on a workday so.... let's get into this.
Beer is beer when it's fermented. Doesn't mean it has the bubbly thing that makes beer spectacular. Once the beer is fermented, you need to have the yeast do one more performance. Make more co2 but this time not let it out. So you need to add more sugar when it's finished and seal it up. Forcing the yeast to push the co2 into the beer and at the same time telling the yeast, "good job, boy. Now go take a nap!" The measurement is 5 grams of sugar per liter of beer. After 10 days of that, you got the bubbly. But wait, it won't come out to play unless you push it out. Now that's the hard question. Simplest one is ditch off the fancy "this new thing" item and get into kegging.
Now, one more back step, you're the first person I've seen in homebrewing that went from first brew to pressure keg. Almost all of us bottle first. Then try some dinky rinky keg thing... build our own... fail... go back to bottling then finally get the equipment we need to fully keg ourselves.
Your either going to produce the next amazing brewery that the world has never seen or just bothering the bloody heck out of us.
I'm waiting to see which happens. Got a bag of popcorn waiting.

If you added priming sugar, you will have wait for the yeast to produce CO2 ( a couple weeks maybe ) or if you didnt add sugar it looks like you need to install a CO2 cartridge...thats my takeaway from the pic supplied.

Dave

I remember you asked similar questions here
Keg Pressure Problems - The HomeBrew Forum
and here
Balliihoo Keg Problem - The HomeBrew Forum
Perhaps the answer is in there. :thumb:
Sorry it must be me not explaining myself right I know about waiting for the pressure thing That is fine I just wanted to take some of the brew out the Keg via the keg tape but what you are all saying I have to wait until it builds pressure so I can use the kegs tap. So what it looks like I have to do is open the top of the keg and syphon some beer out of there into the 6 btle I want to try

Sorry it must be me not explaining myself right I know about waiting for the pressure thing That is fine I just wanted to take some of the brew out the Keg via the keg tape but what you are all saying I have to wait until it builds pressure so I can use the kegs tap. So what it looks like I have to do is open the top of the keg and syphon some beer out of there into the 6 btle I want to try
If you have the ballyhoo keg have you got an S 30 gas cylinder? If so give it a quick blast if gas,next time bottle a few before filling your keg,that's what we all do

Aaaa. Ok, full disclosure, I'm totally wasted and it's way past midnight on a workday so.... let's get into this.
Beer is beer when it's fermented. Doesn't mean it has the bubbly thing that makes beer spectacular. Once the beer is fermented, you need to have the yeast do one more performance. Make more co2 but this time not let it out. So you need to add more sugar when it's finished and seal it up. Forcing the yeast to push the co2 into the beer and at the same time telling the yeast, "good job, boy. Now go take a nap!" The measurement is 5 grams of sugar per liter of beer. After 10 days of that, you got the bubbly. But wait, it won't come out to play unless you push it out. Now that's the hard question. Simplest one is ditch off the fancy "this new thing" item and get into kegging.
Now, one more back step, you're the first person I've seen in homebrewing that went from first brew to pressure keg. Almost all of us bottle first. Then try some dinky rinky keg thing... build our own... fail... go back to bottling then finally get the equipment we need to fully keg ourselves.
Your either going to produce the next amazing brewery that the world has never seen or just bothering the bloody heck out of us.
I'm waiting to see which happens. Got a bag of popcorn waiting.

Sorry do not know what you are talking about you must still be ****** If I have decoded what you are saying I am not brewing it right. I first brewed it in a FB the Racked into a second FB waited until it came down to the right SG which was under 1014 then I put it into a keg then added 85g of sugar. I then thought i could open the tap at the bottom of the keg and put it in the few bottles i wanted to try instead of adding sugar in the bottle. Like this Guy said Just to add a 3rd opinion I would add 85g dissolved in a small amount of water to the keg (assuming a 23L batch) and when its full immediately fill 2 bottles from the keg.IF I AM Wasting your time or BOTHERING YOU!!!! please do not bother to answer again as I would not like here your ramblings again Thanks

then I put it into a keg then added 85g of sugar. I then thought i could open the tap at the bottom of the keg and put it in the few bottles i wanted to try instead of adding sugar in the bottle. Like this Guy said Just to add a 3rd opinion I would add 85g dissolved in a small amount of water to the keg (assuming a 23L batch) and when its full immediately fill 2 bottles from the keg.

Exactly how long did you wait from adding the sugar until you tried to fill a bottle?

I know this sounds silly I thought I could try it right away but nothing came out the Tap. The thing is I have funny hands I used to drive Deltic 5s across the country for British Railways ( WHEN WE HAD A RAILWAY) Passenger and Fright I done this for 30 odd years in the end damaged a lot my nerves in my hands and my hands are a pit shaky especially when adding sugar to the bottle I tend to get it going all over the place I was going to use them sugar drops but Have now been told to keep away from them

Yeah but by doing that the beer level would have to be above the float outlet stub or tap level and with the cap off the barell,looks like a quick syphon job if you want to fill a few bottles, then add a tad more sugar to the keg before resealing it

How much sugar should I put in ? I took a photo of the inside of the Keg I then done 5 bottles using original Directors Bottles I now have in my keg just over 31 pints

20170806_195932.jpg

How much sugar should I put in ? I took a photo of the inside of the Keg I then done 5 bottles using original Directors Bottles I now have in my keg just over 31 pints
I can see a little carbonation bubbling around the barrel sides,when I carbonate a KK I have at times put 5 ounces in ,140 gram and by doing that usually pushes out most of the beer without it overly sweetening the beer so another 30/40 Gram if it was me after starting with 80 Gram
But realise its not instant carbonation it requires a few days at least and will still be very green beer

I can see a little carbonation bubbling around the barrel sides,when I carbonate a KK I have at times put 5 ounces in ,140 gram and by doing that usually pushes out most of the beer without it overly sweetening the beer so another 30/40 Gram if it was me after starting with 80 Gram
But realise its not instant carbonation it requires a few days at least and will still be very green beer
I put in 90grams of sugar when I keged the beer should I still put 30g in or less I am in no rush to drink the beer not at lest to my wife's birthday bash at the end of August :doh::grin:

I know this sounds silly I thought I could try it right away but nothing came out the Tap. The thing is I have funny hands I used to drive Deltic 5s across the country for British Railways ( WHEN WE HAD A RAILWAY) Passenger and Fright I done this for 30 odd years in the end damaged a lot my nerves in my hands and my hands are a pit shaky especially when adding sugar to the bottle I tend to get it going all over the place I was going to use them sugar drops but Have now been told to keep away from them

The sugar you added to prime the barrel has to be fermented, this produces the gas that builds up pressure to force the beer out, it will not happen straight away, no more different than an old steam locomotive would run as soon as it's fire was lit, it needs a head of steam pressure.

If you struggle to get a spoonful of sugar into a bottle then try a sugar cube or put a funnel into the bottle and fire it in that way.

The sugar you added to prime the barrel has to be fermented, this produces the gas that builds up pressure to force the beer out, it will not happen straight away, no more different than an old steam locomotive would run as soon as it's fire was lit, it needs a head of steam pressure.

If you struggle to get a spoonful of sugar into a bottle then try a sugar cube or put a funnel into the bottle and fire it in that way.

(Yes I missed the steam side of things:-( but watched them as a child used to go get a platform ticket and watch the Golden Arrow come in then ask the passengers if we could carry there hand luggage and get a bit of extra money) By the way I opened the keg to siphon some beer into bottles There was already 90 gram of sugar in the keg should I put more sugar in the Keg It says in the pamphlet I got with the directors add up to 100g or more like what godsdog says to add

Aaaa. Ok, full disclosure, I'm totally wasted and it's way past midnight on a workday ...
Again! But then I might just be jealous because I'm in the middle of my UK Government recommended abstention days (and if I wasn't my brain isn't compatible with being "wasted" anyway).

But, to do my bit to answer this question...

I know this sounds silly I thought I could try it right away but nothing came out the Tap. ...
If anything did come out what replaces it? It would create a vacuum at which point nothing comes out, or worse: The vacuum sucks in air and the beer goes off within a fortnight. You've got to wait for the priming sugars to work or squirt in CO2 from a bottle. Others have already been saying this.

Your problems don't end there. From the piccie I can see you have a "top-tap" design of keg (as opposed to "bottom-tap"). You need enough CO2 pressure (not just a puff) to lift the beer to the height of that tap.

(EDIT: You've added 90g of priming sugar - that should be more than enough. I've just put 45g in 20L and know that will produce explosive carbonation - but I'm using well sealed Corney kegs and have plenty of CO2 to keep pressure up so I don't need to add any more sugar to see it through.)

Again! But then I might just be jealous because I'm in the middle of my UK Government recommended abstention days (and if I wasn't my brain isn't compatible with being "wasted" anyway).

But, to do my bit to answer this question...

If anything did come out what replaces it? It would create a vacuum at which point nothing comes out, or worse: The vacuum sucks in air and the beer goes off within a fortnight. You've got to wait for the priming sugars to work or squirt in CO2 from a bottle. Others have already been saying this.

Your problems don't end there. From the piccie I can see you have a "top-tap" design of keg (as opposed to "bottom-tap"). You need enough CO2 pressure (not just a puff) to lift the beer to the height of that tap.
No you don't as the float inlet sits under the surface of the beer,by taking the lid off the keg he has released the starting build up of CO2 so needs to give it another shot of sugar to compensate this.as he's already done 90 gram initially I would add another 25/30 gram which will help it and not overly affect the taste of the beer,as I said in an earlier post on this thread I have regularly used 140 gram when I had issues with bottled gas with S30 cylinders

Back