Vitamin C

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smially

Reaction score
Does the inclusion of additional vitamin c, cause any problems. Thinking of trying Crawfords Apple juice as part of an experimental brew?

Last edited:
Can't see it being a problem. You can use vitamin C when bread making as a flour improver when using a high percentage of wholemeal flour. It doesn't stop the yeast doing its thing then, if anything it helps it.

A few cider brewers use lidl's apple juice which has added vit-C, might depend on the yeast strain as to how tolerant of lower pH it is (cider yeast being much more tolerant of pH and alcohol).

What's it for? From what I read whilst researching fruits for my heffeweizen apple doesn't hang around as a flavor, it just ferments out really dry.

I always thought VitC in bread was a cheats way of making it rise? Acid + baking powder = CO2.

Does the inclusion of additional vitamin c, cause any problems. Thinking of trying Crawfords Apple juice as part of an experimental brew?

Hi, sounds like turbo cider you're making. I made 2 batches of turbo from apple juice, one with Vit C and one without. Both came out quite tart / bitter. I don't think you'll need it myself, but that said my experience is quite limited : )

Latest posts

Back