Mango Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimhib

Reaction score
So I started an experimental batch of Mango Turbo last night.
I would of liked to use Rubicon Mango but couldn’t find any so had to settle on asdas own mango juice!

The Recipe
3.5l tescos own (growers harvest) apple juice
1l Asdas own Mango Juice
1tsp Champagne Yeast
1 cup tea (2 teabags)
Handful of raisins (for yeast nutrient)

The recipe I’ve just sort of made up myself I’ve only ever brewed 25L vimto turbo cider before so I wasn’t quite sure on the exact amounts to add, hence why it’s just an experimental batch!

The Method
The method is just the same as any old turbo cider, add apple juice to your 5l demijohn, boil up the mango juice for 10min at least, add that to the demijohn with the tea.

Wait for it to cool to around 20-22 Celsius and pitch the yeast and raisins.

Final thoughts
It looks very cloudy and it’s the first brew I’ve done with the big layer of foam at the top but that can’t be a bad sign, it started bubbling nearly an hour after pitching.

OG is at 1.040, I wasn’t going for a massive ABV so you could probably bump that up with more sugar I guess?

Will let you all know the FG after a week or so!

This was my first post on the site so any mistakes I do apologise and feel free to correct me on those!

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
Just out of curiosity why did you boil the mango juice?
Well I’m still a pure beginner and was told it may contain preservatives that the yeast won’t like and to boil it first to remove it, I did the same to the vimto in my first cider.

Not sure how true it is haha!

Well I’m still a pure beginner and was told it may contain preservatives that the yeast won’t like and to boil it first to remove it, I did the same to the vimto in my first cider.

Not sure how true it is haha!

Always check the label for preservative and don't use it if it has it boiling doesn't get rid of it it's one of those myths that does the rounds in home brew circles

Always check the label for preservative and don't use it if it has it boiling doesn't get rid of it it's one of those myths that does the rounds in home brew circles
Thanks chippy, I couldn’t see any preservatives added on the label

UPDATE!

To be honest I remember I started this on a Monday but can’t remember which Monday haha. so it’s been on for around 11 days I’m assuming. FG was 1.002 which gives me an ABV of 4.99%, call it 5%.

Just switched it to another demijohn tonight to separate the foam from the top and dead yeast

Tastes really good the mango isn’t too overpowering but it is slightly sour, not an off tasting sour just tart. I like my ciders sweet so will probably end up back sweetening it but it’s all looking good so far! Still very cloudy but I don’t mind a cloudy cider.

I’m keeping this one uncarbonated so will probably just leave it in the demijohn and drink it from that.

Attachments

• IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
I made something very similar
3ltr apple juice
1ltr mango juice
EC1118 yeast

started as cider, then added load more sugar after a couple of days to become wine.

been settling for a couple of weeks now no accurate ABV, left 3 bottles still 3 carbonated.

tried it the other day almost clear and tastes nice can taste the alcohol but the mango comes through then apple, very drinkable.

must try as a cider

Latest posts

Back