Brewing belt v Heat mat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemond

Reaction score
I've bought a Heat mat today as I'm worried that even my little bedroom will be dropping down to less than 18 (or even 15 for the yeast I'm using) degrees overnight. Planning on using a timer to have it coming on and off to stop it warming the beer. Anyone have any idea how fast the mats are at heating the beer up?

I tried a heat mat (it was for starting seedlings) but I used bungy cords and attached it to the side of the FV....more contact. It seemed to work OK...

I've bought a Heat mat today as I'm worried that even my little bedroom will be dropping down to less than 18 (or even 15 for the yeast I'm using) degrees overnight. Planning on using a timer to have it coming on and off to stop it warming the beer. Anyone have any idea how fast the mats are at heating the beer up?

@Leemond if you get one of these controllers from our sponsor Inkbird you can tape the temperature sensor to the side of the FV and it will keep it at your required temperature.

If you look at the sponsor forum there is a code to get 5% off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K2DKYW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

413%2Bhz2OV-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a brew on the go in my brewery [the garage:lol:] temp approx 9c. It has been top fermenting for 6 days, nice head. I am using an old heat belt from years back plugged into a Vitopod heat control, set at 20c borrowed from the gardening department. The censor is stuck on the fermenting bucket with tape and all wrapped in bubble wrap.

Mine are the pretty much the same as above, I have two FVs in the garage suitable wrapped up but with a Brew Belt around the base of each, individually controlled, one with a home built STC and one using a Inkbird, both holding close to 20C in an ambient of between 7 - 11 at the moment.

I don't have the space for a fridge so I use the belts for heat and the ambient for cooling.

One thing I may try through is after seeing my local HBS this weekend he had one taped on but sort of spiralling around the FV not just a single band, may help to quell my paranoia of hot spots etc.

But the gist is they work but controlling them is best.

Thank you for the advice Chippy Tea - will get one after payday :)

Edit: @Chippy_Tea - what temperature would you set it at? Assume it's actually a bit warmer inside than through the fermenter?

Place the temp probe against the DJ or FV then put a pad of bubble wrap or a sponge over the top and tape it in place so the probe measures the liquid inside not the air outside as for the temperature i would set the high and low to what the instructions calls for, i do not have one of these so maybe someone else could advise if that is wrong.

Send his a pm his contact details are in the forum leader link at the bottom of the forum index page.

I wrapped my bucket in a roll of insulation film (like you put behind radiators) & it kept my Saison toasty @ 30+ degrees

Latest posts

Back