Temperature problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
I currently have 2 brews on the go, one a cyo muntons malt extract using 05 and one muntons west coast ipa. I'm using a brew fridge in my shed.with the temp at 20°C. Problem is due to the freezing weather the temp has dropped to 14°C. The cyo is at 1010 so in not to worried about that one but the ipa is at 1018. I've switched off the tube heater and placed a heat mat under the ipa. I have dry hopped today. Will it kick back into life or has 3 days at 14°C killed the yeast. Will the dry hop have any affect at the lower temperature cyo.

All will be fine, just give it time to ferment through. Dry hopping will be fine at that temp, only thing is it might be in the beer longer thst you'd like while you wait for the ferment to complete

What yeast did you use? Lager and Notty yeast will keep going at lower temps. The lower temp will just either slow it right down or put it to sleep,it will wake up again when you warm it up. Apparently Brewdog dry hop at 14c.

Thanks all, can't wait for the spring so I can do some all grain. I highly recommend the muntons creat your own malts though

It will turn out fine. 05 is cold tolerant. Actually, more ale yeasts than you would think are tolerant to 14C or even a little lower. It doesn't hurt the yeast, just slooows them waaay down.

Latest posts

Back