And they're off !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
What's people's thoughts on The Grand National Today ?
The Mrs and I always have an annual bet.
I'm plumping for Definitely Red .
Being Liverpool fan that is [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading something about women jockeys in the papers yesterday. I dont know why all jockeys arent women as their obviously better built for it, instead of using teeny tiny men

What's people's thoughts on The Grand National Today ?
The Mrs and I always have an annual bet.
I'm plumping for Definitely Red .
Being Liverpool fan that is [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. As a United fan. :thumb:

I used to bet on it but havent done for years. I had a very good record on it though and have won far more than I lost. I used to go for somewhere around a 16-1 or just over horse and won about once every 2 or 3 years either outright or each way and got a place. I think overall my winnings were about 2 or 3 times what I lost. The most important thing is read a couple of right ups about the horse and the forecast for the going. Match them to the horse and you're to go, that takes out the stupid punters who bet on a horse because it reminds them of a football team (no offence :lol:)

I've a foolproof system: throw darts at anything under 20/1.

I used to bet on it but havent done for years. I had a very good record on it though and have won far more than I lost. I used to go for somewhere around a 16-1 or just over horse and won about once every 2 or 3 years either outright or each way and got a place. I think overall my winnings were about 2 or 3 times what I lost. The most important thing is read a couple of right ups about the horse and the forecast for the going. Match them to the horse and you're to go, that takes out the stupid punters who bet on a horse because it reminds them of a football team (no offence :lol:)

....this could be worse than the public lavatory thread! Don't bet or follow horse racing...got a mate though who will be there and usually helps with the ones that fall awkwardly and have to get shot or any that run a mock. .helps round them up.

My granddad used to bet on the horses a lot and lost a lot, i never saw the attraction so i do not bet.

SWMBO will not watch it as its cruel to the horses.

Here are five reasons why it’s the horses who always pay the ultimate price:

Fatal injuries are commonplace. Broken necks, backs and legs are commonplace at the Grand National, and yet the race goes on. Bred out of greed for speed, the thoroughbreds forced to take part are accidents waiting to happen: their legs are too long and fragile for the jumps, and they’re whipped and pushed literally to the breaking point. Every year, we see exhausted animals crash face-first into the ground and careen into one another on this deliberately punishing and hazardous course. Synchronised and According To Pete were last year’s victims, and 36 horses are known to have lost their lives at the race over the last 50 years.

Becher’s Brook is dangerous. Known as the world’s most dangerous jump, Becher’s Brook predictably claimed the life of another vulnerable horse last year. Why not just dig holes on the course for the animals to trip on and stumble into while they’re at it? The stubborn refusal of the British Horseracing Authority and Aintree Racecourse to remove the deadly jump proves yet again that their primary focus is always on supplying a thrilling and dangerous sight for race-goers and the TV audience. The Grand National is a national disgrace that is grand only if you are not a horse or a caring human being.

It’s impossible to improve the racecourse. The minor changes that have been made to Aintree Racecourse in recent years are mere token gestures. Animal-protection groups have long pointed out that the number of runners in a race has an impact on injuries and deaths, yet the organisers of the Grand National have actually increased the number of horses to 40 �" it was below 29 until 2000. Recent changes to fences have not reduced fatalities, and the changes made to this year’s race are also unlikely to prevent the deaths of more beautiful animals.

Horses are raced too young. Horses are raced too young, too often and on hard surfaces that practically guarantee breakdowns, and the Grand National is the worst offender. Appallingly, an estimated 38 per cent of the 400 horses who die every year on British racecourses do so during or just after a race. (The others die in the days and weeks that follow.) The ones who survive to the end of their racing days are simply discarded like used betting slips �" cast off to be killed, butchered and sold off piece by piece.

The focus is on money, not welfare. Owners of horses in the Grand National often mistake their love of money and glory for a love of the horses. To the rest of us, exposing horses to the dangers of this barbaric ritual makes it clear where their priorities lie. Veterinary treatment will be paid for as long as horses are racing and making money. However, if a horse sustains a fracture which is likely to involve many months of treatment, a decision is often made to destroy the horse because it would be more cost-effective. As long as people continue to bet on the Grand National, horses will continue to die.

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/five-reasons-why-aintree-is-not-so-grand/

I was reading something about women jockeys in the papers yesterday. I dont know why all jockeys arent women as their obviously better built for it, instead of using teeny tiny men

I know nothing about horse racing but did hear something on the radio about them adding weight so the lightest jockeys have no advantage, if this is not how they do it in the National feel free to correct my mistake.

...how many burgers? What out of shot horses? They do love the racing though...ears pricked up,nostrils flaring, tail blowing in the wind...you can tell! And that's just the jockeys!

I will severely reprimand myself for my earlier post. Putting "right" instead of "write" is unacceptable by my standards. The horse I "chose" is now out to 66-1.

My granddad used to bet on the horses a lot and lost a lot, i never saw the attraction so i do not bet.

SWMBO will not watch it as its cruel to the horses.

Here are five reasons why it’s the horses who always pay the ultimate price:

Fatal injuries are commonplace. Broken necks, backs and legs are commonplace at the Grand National, and yet the race goes on. Bred out of greed for speed, the thoroughbreds forced to take part are accidents waiting to happen: their legs are too long and fragile for the jumps, and they’re whipped and pushed literally to the breaking point. Every year, we see exhausted animals crash face-first into the ground and careen into one another on this deliberately punishing and hazardous course. Synchronised and According To Pete were last year’s victims, and 36 horses are known to have lost their lives at the race over the last 50 years.

Becher’s Brook is dangerous. Known as the world’s most dangerous jump, Becher’s Brook predictably claimed the life of another vulnerable horse last year. Why not just dig holes on the course for the animals to trip on and stumble into while they’re at it? The stubborn refusal of the British Horseracing Authority and Aintree Racecourse to remove the deadly jump proves yet again that their primary focus is always on supplying a thrilling and dangerous sight for race-goers and the TV audience. The Grand National is a national disgrace that is grand only if you are not a horse or a caring human being.

It’s impossible to improve the racecourse. The minor changes that have been made to Aintree Racecourse in recent years are mere token gestures. Animal-protection groups have long pointed out that the number of runners in a race has an impact on injuries and deaths, yet the organisers of the Grand National have actually increased the number of horses to 40 �" it was below 29 until 2000. Recent changes to fences have not reduced fatalities, and the changes made to this year’s race are also unlikely to prevent the deaths of more beautiful animals.

Horses are raced too young. Horses are raced too young, too often and on hard surfaces that practically guarantee breakdowns, and the Grand National is the worst offender. Appallingly, an estimated 38 per cent of the 400 horses who die every year on British racecourses do so during or just after a race. (The others die in the days and weeks that follow.) The ones who survive to the end of their racing days are simply discarded like used betting slips �" cast off to be killed, butchered and sold off piece by piece.

The focus is on money, not welfare. Owners of horses in the Grand National often mistake their love of money and glory for a love of the horses. To the rest of us, exposing horses to the dangers of this barbaric ritual makes it clear where their priorities lie. Veterinary treatment will be paid for as long as horses are racing and making money. However, if a horse sustains a fracture which is likely to involve many months of treatment, a decision is often made to destroy the horse because it would be more cost-effective. As long as people continue to bet on the Grand National, horses will continue to die.

http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/five-reasons-why-aintree-is-not-so-grand/

Whats worse, a horse is bred especially for racing, is given the best development possible to make it the best physical specimen of a horse they can make in order ot race and win money. Or never be born at all?

Its better here than in America where they race on dirt tracks which can break the horses legs.

Its a bit like boxing where fighters are at risk of serious injury or death. The difference being horses dont get the choice for themselves although they can always refuse to jump and often do if they are not happy.

Are you vegetarian as well?

Back