Raspberryade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds perfect! I wish my airing cupboard was warm! :cheers:

I think yeaties like light as well...
but come to think of it my brews spend most of their days in the dark
you should be fine and fermented out in a week and a bit ....

I started mine of a few hours ago, new back to brewing so i hope it turns out as good. Thanks to people like yourselfs for for helping out people like me. :rofl: Out of dj's right now so i bought a 5 litre bottle of water and used that to ferment it in :drink: some cidre atm as i need bottles. Thanks fellas.

Gaz.

Brilliant, cheers for the advice :) Stuck a batch of raspberryade on last night, it's tucked up in the airing cupboard along with the other DJ's! (I use 5l water bottles as they are £1 in tesco, whereas an empty 5l Plastic DJ from my local stockist costs £1.95!!). Got 5 bottles merrily popping away in there now, room for 1 more so might have a bash at the Ribena wine too :) Will let you know what the results are :)

Oh, forgot to say, I had an SG of 1.048, does that sound about right? I'm working on the assumption that if I let it drop to approx 1.000 that will give me roughly 4 1/5% will it? :) still not quite gotten to grips with the hydrometer and working out all the percentages etc! :)

You take a hydrometer reading when just before you pitch ur yeast
(when liquid has coold to about 20c) that is your O.G. = Orignal gravity

Then when your brew has stopped bubbling for a few days take about reading
this is your F.G. = Final gravity

Then do some simple maths...

OG - FG * 131 = The ABV% of ur brew

131 is the "magic" number to remember dont know why its 131 .... alot of different factors involed
some poeple use higher some people use lower I just find that works for me

For a stronger and sweeter brew:
I have been using

1 and 1/2 bottles of raspberry
1L of welshes apple pear and grape juice
Wine yeast
Yeast nutient
(and a sprinkle of sugar dependling on how I feel)
Topped up to just under 5L

This recipe thats sticky and sweet for a while but after about 3-4 weeks ageing
takes on a whole new life and is definalty worth the wait! As with the orgianl recipe
the red colour and clearness shines though but fruit jucie just gives it that extra body
hehe not quite a wine, not really a cider ... its Raspberryade!

Was speaking to my Polsih work mates last night and they told me that there are maybe 6 or so different flavours of this syrup and it would probably be best to go to a Polish shop rather than a high street store. They said there is also an apple flavour syrup.

Looks like this will end up being my second 'brew' I will have on the go :)

My raspberryade has hit 1010 so have racked it now. Realised that my starting liquid was warmer that my hydrometer calibration, but didn't take temp so not sure if my OG was accurate, but min % is going to be 5% anyhow which will do quite nicely!! Disaster struck!! Had planned to get some more syrup to back sweeten and prime it, just to inject a bit more of the raspberry flavour back into it, but alas, tesco doean't have any and it doesn't look like they're getting more in :( have had to sweeten with splenda, and about to prime and bottle it!! :) fingers crossed in a few weeks I'll have a delicious, fizzy drink, just in time for our summer bbq!!! :) it's tasting great so far tho :)

How much would you syrup would you put in when priming to give it a bit more flavour back?

I was going along the lines of needing 45g roughly to batch prime a gallon if using real sugar, so logically, you would have to work out how much of the syrup would equate to the same sugars!! I've never done it like that, quite new to the whole brewing malarky too lol!! Moley seems to be the man in the know tho lol!! :)

Just started a brew as per Moley except 1 litre of red grape - as I couldnt be bothered to put it aside so maybe slightly stronger in alcohol content - we will see....

Had a little taste of the raspberryade tonight!! It's fantastic!!! :) great recipe and so easy to make!! Just a shame I can't make any more as my local Tesco has stopped stocking the syrup and nowhere else local sells it :(

just racked this to clean vessel and I have to say that at this early stage the smell and taste are wonderful. May have to put a second batch on PDQ as if it carries on in this vain it will get drunk double quick :drink:

Well what a relief folks!! :D Discovered that ,my local Tesco had moved the syrup to a completely different isle (down with ice cream cones and desert sauces) so snapped up a couple of bottles!! Used some to finish priming the batch I had made for our BBQ and keeping the rest to make another batch :D I have to say, it went down a treat when we had it at the BBQ on Sat, everyone loved it!!! The whole lot got drank along with 35 litres of various other homemade wines, so it was a roaring success! Lots of not entirely sober pople left my house on sat night/sun morning lol!! Must get the recipes for my other experiements posted as they ended up turning out very nicely :cheers:

if u r looking for Lowicz Cherry Syrup 440 ml (Pack of 6) try amazon £8.25 ...just stumbled onto emm on there while on a general bargain hunt lol... and they do lots of other juices too for all ova the place :D could need more dj's soon !! and a bigger house!!

blinkey said:
if u r looking for Lowicz Cherry Syrup 440 ml (Pack of 6) try amazon £8.25 ...just stumbled onto emm on there while on a general bargain hunt lol... and they do lots of other juices too for all ova the place :D could need more dj's soon !! and a bigger house!!

Beat you to it read my post before yours :cheers:

Back