hop filters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirsultankhan

Landlord.
Reaction score
How do you guys filter your hops? At present I pass my entire wort through a fine mesh sieve. I used to use a hop spider but read that it was better to let the hops flow about the wort by convection current.

Are they any good? I've just bought my electric boiler from there and it has one of these fitted. Does it clog up? I always have trouble with pellets clogging up my sieve and wondered if this would have the same problem.

I guess a lot of the hop material sinks to the bottom of the pan and below the tap anyway, instead of tipping the wort out of my old pot and taking all the hops with it.

How do you guys filter your hops? At present I pass my entire wort through a fine mesh sieve. I used to use a hop spider but read that it was better to let the hops flow about the wort by convection current.

I use a sieve, but really hoppy brews clog it up quickly. I then have to try and clear them with a paddle, which seems to force some through the sieve. I also line the FV with a paint strainer to catch what makes it through.

Are they any good? I've just bought my electric boiler from there and it has one of these fitted. Does it clog up? I always have trouble with pellets clogging up my sieve and wondered if this would have the same problem.

I guess a lot of the hop material sinks to the bottom of the pan and below the tap anyway, instead of tipping the wort out of my old pot and taking all the hops with it.

It works great with leaf hops. I haven't used pellet hops so don't know how it works with them

I like the idea better of the hops flowing freely in the boil/brew (as opposed to stuck in a bag) and when I do this I normally double sieve i.e. I use two cheap Asda one's doubled up, a stainless steel one and a plastic one.

Trouble is, as others say, they quickly clog up. It did cross my mind how on earth do those bazookas manage - can't exactly stop the flow and clear those quickly :wha:

Starting to think avoid pellets and use leaf only as these also act as hot/cold break filters (which I seem to get a ton of and can't keep out the fv)...

Ooo... opportunity to show off!

I use three "bazookas". Two custom jobs each made from 1m stainless steel braid and a short "conventional" one fitted vertically. The whole assembly fits to the boiler tap with a "cone union". The vertical "bazooka" drains from above the hop bed minimising the impact of having the other "bazookas" clog up (not that they have). Big strainer but then I can do 15-16 gallon batches. I don't tempt fate and stick to whole hops, never pellets.

"Bazookas" from Paul at Angel Homebrew. Bits for building manifold from BES. Paranoia needed for designing it this way all my own!

2015-10-28 19.01.38 WEB.jpg

Ooo... opportunity to show off!

I use three "bazookas". Two custom jobs each made from 1m stainless steel braid and a short "conventional" one fitted vertically. The whole assembly fits to the boiler tap with a "cone union". The vertical "bazooka" drains from above the hop bed minimising the impact of having the other "bazookas" clog up (not that they have). Big strainer but then I can do 15-16 gallon batches. I don't tempt fate and stick to whole hops, never pellets.

"Bazookas" from Paul at Angel Homebrew. Bits for building manifold from BES. Paranoia needed for designing it this way all my own!

Bloody hell man how big is your BOILER ? :eek:

I use a sheath I cut off from a diy shop hot water hose. Jubilee clip closes off one end, jubilee clip attaches it to the tap at the other. Hop cones, pellets, no bother. 3 quid. Opportunity to be cheap (and still get really good results).

I use a sheath I cut off from a diy shop hop water hose. Jubilee clip closes off one end, jubilee clip attaches it to the tap at the other. Hop cones, pellets, no bother. 3 quid. Opportunity to be cheap (and still get really good results).

A sheath :hmm: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought similar products but round, tbh you cant fit many hops in

Two stainless steel sieves from pound shop. Join them at the bottom with copper wire. 60g hops easily.

Just checked my brewing notes - 60g was over the course of the boil, but the first addition was 28g and there was loads of room left even after they had swelled - got all 60g in.

20151028_210614.jpg

20151028_210629.jpg

Yessiree...

You will get more 'fallout' because of the size of the mesh, but my 3 quid sheath takes care of the rest.

Latest posts

Back