Using a Hop Spider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Kernick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a hop spider. I know that people say that they reduce hop utilisation. I haven't, subjectively, found that to be the case, but I haven't brewed that many beers using my current Brewzilla setup, and possibly it's the way a hop spider is used, rather than whether it's used at all that determines the utilisation anyway. So here's what I do.

1. Any kettle will have a spot that gets slightly hotter than the rest, meaning that during a boil, there will be a position where the boil rises to the surface and other positions where the wort falls back down to the bottom. I position my hop spider directly over the rise, so that the rising, hottest wort pushes up through the hop spider. This helps to circulate the hops within the spider and is effective whether I'm using pellets or leaf.

2. I keep my recirculation pumping throughout the boil, directing the recirculating wort, pumped from the bottom of the Brewzilla, back into the boil through the hop spider. This has the effect of filtering out any stray bits of grain and also, since the return tube reaches to the bottom of the hop spider, helps to keep the hops from settling on the bottom of the spider.

3. Any hops to be added at flame out, I would tend to put straight into the brew. There aren't usually great quantities of these and what's important is that their aroma is imparted from free circulation.

What are your experiences using a hop spider? For me it results in a much more trub-free wort and less chance of the pump clogging.

I don't use my spider all the time. If I'm not brewing with a lot of hops, I tend to skip the spider and just chuck the hops straight into the kettle. Especially so if I'm using leaf hops as they form a nice filter bed around the metal hop filter (the metal hop filter for my Grainfather isn't that great) and help filter particulates out of the wort on the way to the fermenter.

If I'm using lots of hops then I'll use the spider. It's also handy for holding any sugar additions (when brewing strong Belgians etc) to keep the sugar off the element and prevent scorching.

Cleaning the spider is a pain though and that's why most people hate them. I find that cleaning with a water jet is the easiest.

It's hard to quantify whether it has an effect on utilisation. I don't think anyone's palate is sensitive enough to directly say if there is a difference on successive brews. You'd probably need a lab analysis. If it does have an effect on utilisation, it'll be small IMO.

I have up on using the spider in my brewzilla found them a pain to clean and also thought that wort sat in it didn't seem to maintain a boil (enough). I don't find much of an issue with the hop matter in the kettle . I thought that the pumps were not supposed to be run during the boil?

I thought that the pumps were not supposed to be run during the boil?
I haven't heard that. Certainly I have not found a problem using the pump during the boil. Using a plate chiller, for example, would requre the use of the pump to pump wort at very high temperatures.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Brewzilla, but the Braumeister pump cuts out at 80something centigrade. The rolling boil means it wouldn't make a lot of difference if it was running.
I used to use a hop spider in the BM, but the wart in it always seemed to be still and it was a pain to clean.
I now use a Bac Brewing Springer, --NEW VERSION--Complete kit springer BM20/50 Height 50mm

I don't know about the Brewzilla, but the Braumeister pump cuts out at 80something centigrade. The rolling boil means it wouldn't make a lot of difference if it was running.
I used to use a hop spider in the BM, but the wart in it always seemed to be still and it was a pain to clean.
I now use a Bac Brewing Springer, --NEW VERSION--Complete kit springer BM20/50 Height 50mm
This is great I haven't seen this before. You put this on before the malt pipe goes in? Does it sit under the heater coil?

I've found my BZ pump blocks even when using something small like 50g all through the boil (quick blow on the recirc sorts it). Small amount of hops I don't use it but on beers with lots of hops I think it's a must. Just stir, scrape and dunk every so often.
Works for me.

Yes, put in before you start, it tucks in under the heater coil
Bac Brewing kit isn't cheap, but they have some good stuff.
Do you have issues transferring to the fermenter with hops? Mine has always clogged when going loose.

Do you have issues transferring to the fermenter with hops? Mine has always clogged when going loose.
I did once when I didn't whirlpool. I can't remember if that brew used pellets or leaf hops or a mixture. Yesterday's brew was about 40g of leaf and 25g of pellets. That went through without any problems.
Edit. Did you mean when using the springer or before I had it ?
I had all sorts of problems before I got the hop spider, but it had been fine with the springer, apart from the once.

I've found my BZ pump blocks even when using something small like 50g all through the boil (quick blow on the recirc sorts it). Small amount of hops I don't use it but on beers with lots of hops I think it's a must. Just stir, scrape and dunk every so often.
Works for me.
Yeah, the Brewzilla pumps do block easily - but as you say, the old blow down the recirculation pipe usually restores function.

I know I bang on about it. TFR gets hop spiders clean, really easy. Rinse, Squirt, rinse off. Done.
TFR finds muck on stuff you think is clean😱

Any chance you have a picture? I am not sure how this is possible.
I thought @MashBag had posted about it before, but I can't find it. May be it was on a different forum.
Basically, if I remember rightly it involves re-engineering the outlet from the pump so it has a valve to divert the outlet either in to the BM or elsewhere (a fermenter).
I have always wondered how it works without blocking the pump.

I can only recall BM pump getting blocked with fermentation., and even then it clears.
Seriously never been a problem.
Apart from the time doughed in, closed the malt tube up, pressed start and nothing happened. Then I saw the impeller stuck to the wall in front of me. Oops

I will find it and repost.

I bought a hop spider years ago, filled it one third full of T90 pellets, they expanded and formed a solid mass. Never use it now. I boil in an extended Burco and transfer via a 1 mm sieve to 13 and 9 litre stainless steel pans with lids. Any remaining hop debris is buried in the yeast pancake, but I do get problems with yeast floaters, which I recently documented in another thread.

Latest posts

Back